Martin Braun Grande Chrono Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by cw2, Aug 3, 2012.

1. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    This is a true "Hand Made Watch". When it was made,he was making less than 1000 a year with a staff of 16 or less.
    I say when it was made because it is New Old Stock. The calibration certificate gives all the info. calibration started on
    11 Feb.03 and was completed on 24Mar.03 signed by M. Braun. It was made in his original workshop in Birkenfeld, Germany.
    This is SN 022...total number unknown. The reason I'm giving all this back ground info. is because a year after this, Martin
    was wooed by the" Darkside " and entered into a business deal with the Franck Muller Group. He closed up shop and moved to
    MullerLand in Switzerland. Bad things began to happen and after a few years Martin left Mullerland and ran back to Germany.
    He kept his soul...But Muller got his name! So..No more Martin Braun Grande Chrono's....Now to the watch.
    42mm. With a K1 crystal, Alligator strap and 20mm lugs.
    It has a three part case with the center section fluted / coin edge. Seven screws secure the exhibition case back.
    The engine is the 7750 with modifications from Soprod. The rotor is unmarked....Some are engraved Martin Braum,
    not this one.
    German Silver dial,Blue steel hands (no lume). At 42mm it has a great presence on my wrist. I would prefer 40mm.
    but I must make do with this monster. Having this watch for just a day, I can't say much about accuracy now, but when
    it left Martin it was +2 s/d....By the way, all his watches are calibrated after being cased.
    016.jpg 014-1.jpg 011-2.jpg
  2. nismo1

nismo1

Bronze Member
    nice MB,but its not handmade.Its a German case with german hands,a Swiss dial and movement.Brauns shop
    hand assembled them in Germany to get the German made label.That same case is used for the teutonia B series which I have.
    Its also used by Tourby watch and a host of other companies.Martin Braun also sold NB Yaeger.Stoll and Company in Ohio
    Did the Warranty work for both brands.I also own an NB Yaeger.
  3. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    Hand made Vs. Hand Assembled...Small semantic interpretation from German to English....The 7750 is hand assembled by his personnel
    in his shop in Germany.
  4. nismo1

nismo1

Bronze Member
    Sorry,but thats not semantics or language barriers.That movement was ordered from ETA with all of the decoration and modifications already done.
    Braun added the rotor and adjusted the movement.
    Also,his other workshop was in Texas.I know and have talked with Martin Braun.
    Heres the same case with a puw movement in it from Braun.
    [​IMG]
    those timing sheets arrive with every watch.Mine was made about the same time as yours but with a puw 1564 movement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not trying to be a jerk about this.I'm trying to give you the right information about it.
    While this is the 3 hand case,I do have the Grand prix with the chrono case.
    Braun didn't make any of the cases,dials,hands,casebacks,etc.He ordered movements done to his specs from ETA.
    He got his hands on some of the puw 1564 movements and did rework all of them.
    But the economy got to him and he partenered with frank muller and used his movements.
  5. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Hand assembled and hand made are two very different things. Rolex ADs are known to make this mistake. They often claim that Rolexes are hand made, when obviously they're not. What they mean to say is they're hand assembled.

Thanks for the review! :cheers: