Mido All-Dial

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by aquajoe, Oct 7, 2011.

1. aquajoe

aquajoe

Silver Member
    Okay, here's my first review on TKF:

Mido is a Swiss watch making company that was started in 1918 and is now owned by the Swatch group (surprise!). I have been exposed to Mido all my life as my father was given one by grandparents for his high school graduation. It did nothing but sit in a box and get moved from place to place since the late sixties. One of these days I'll get around to grabbing it for a picture to post on here. Since it was one of my Dad's cherished items, I thought it fitting to purchase a Mido as my first "nice" watch.

I had decided on the All-Dial model and wanted something "manly" so I chose the all black with a black rubber strap. This All-Dial retailed for $1595 USD. It's named the All-Dial because the dial takes up almost all of the room on the face of the watch. The case and strap buckle are PVD stainless steel and the straps are a supple but very sturdy black rubber. This watch is equipped with both day and date readings at the 3:00 position. The day can be displayed in English or in German. It has gold numbered markers at all hour positions except 6, 9 and 12 which are colored orange. The outer dial has second indices then numbered every five except for 3, 6, 9 and 12. The hour and minutes hands are gold with a thin line of lume down the center. The second hand is colored bright orange.

[​IMG]

The All-Dial is 42mm and case height is a little over 10 mm. This particular model is rated waterproof to 110m/330ft. The sapphire crystal is AR coated inside and out and the caseback has no coatings.

[​IMG]

Movement is a 25 jeweled ETA 2836-2. I don't know if this is good or not but only what I found on the internet. My particular watch gains two seconds per day.

[​IMG]

I have a rather small wrist at about 6 3/4".

[​IMG]

I absolutely love this watch except for a couple of things. After about nine months of very sporadic and careful wearing, the PVD coating on the buckle has started to wear through. I guess this is mainly from sitting at a computer all day. Second, while the illumination is nice is does not last more than 1-2 hours at the very most.

[​IMG]

So, for my first "nice" watch, the Mido All-Dial which has probably more sentimental meaning to me than outright affection, I truly enjoy it.

-joe
  2. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    nice review, thanks for sharing
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Terrific review, Joe! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! :goodpost:
  4. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Nice review Joe. :thumbsup: I am not familiar with Mido, it was very educational for me. At 42mm with no chapter ring, I bet that dial is very easy to read. Would love to see some pics of your dad's old Mido when you have time - family history watches are always fun.
  5. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Great review, thank you for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:
  6. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Fantastic review, the lume looks nice :thumbsup:

Thanks for showing :goodpost: