Mini review of the Debaufre GMT Ocean-1

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by roadcarver, Jun 28, 2008.

1. roadcarver

roadcarver

Bronze Member
    Here is my mini review of my GMT Ocean 1.

A brief history about Debaufre. It used to be Steinhart, but due to a legal issue from another company that apparently thought it was infrigning on its copyrighted name, wanted to sue Steinhart in the US. Steinhart USA took the highroad and changed its name to Debaufre. Oddly enough, Steinhart is still being used in Europe.

I was always was attracted to the Rolex GMT Master II watch, but couldn't justify the cost. I already have a Rolex in my collection (Sea-Dweller) and that's plenty enough $$ spent on it. I wanted a GMT that has a classic design, and Steinhart/Debaufre has the Rolex GMT Master homage done with some improvements.

The box came in this packaging..
    [​IMG]

Versus the old Steinhart of the black piano box...
    [​IMG]

Personally, I like the black piano box better, and having the Debaufre logo. That would really be classy. Debaufre design team, hope you are reading this.

Now for the watch itself... I used to have the GMT Ocean-1 from Steinhart (Black/Red) and have flipped it. Never thought I'd miss it that much, hence I bought the Debaufre. I didn't jump at the first Debaufre branded GMT Ocean watch since I didn't like the Debaufre shield for the 12, 9 and six markers, plus the lume dot on the 12 hr bezel wasn't for me. I held off for a good while.

I then browsed Debaufre's site once again and I was surprised to see the GMT-Ocean 1 with the classic design, and to boot, the bezel insert without the lume dot.

I apologize for the bad pic on this one...

[​IMG]

VS

[​IMG]

I decided to go with the Pepsi since I alread had the black/red. I also love the fact that the GMT-Ocean 1 is in RED, which gives it a nice contrast to the dial.

I mentioned earlier about the improvements over a Rolex GMT Master II (Not the GMTII-C). Here it they are.

The Pros

- 300/1000ft depth rating
    - Over-sized crown
    - Solid end links
    - 42mm case size
    - It seems that there is an AR coating on the inside of the sapphire glass, judging by the blue hue that I get at certain angles
    - Good lume
    - Excellent legibility

The Cons (sorry there are some)

- The bezel is no longer bi-directional. I'm sad to see that this feature is no longer on the new Debaufre GMT watches. My humble opintion is that if you want a uni-directional bezel, I'd say go with Ocean-1 / classic.
    - The bezel is not easy to interchange, it is glued on. I hope that Debaufre changes the design so that the inserts can be snapped on (friction fit), this will allow GMT owners to readily change the look of their GMTs without having to destroy their existing inserts.
    - Since a cyclops is being incorporated, I'd suggest having a date font that is more bolder, and thicker.

Overall, the GMT-Ocean 1 is well built, and has good fit and finish. The reason I mentioned good was due to the fact that one of the links on the oyster bracelet has a big gash on it (besides where the screw head sits), looks like it was not finished properly. Luckily for me, it was one of the links that was needed to be taken out for resizing. The incorrect watch that was sent to me, I also noticed that one of the screw heads looks like it was partly marred, as if the wrong screw driver was used.

Customer support is still top notch with Debaufre. Elsa did a superb job of rectifiying my issue. The issue was that the wrong watch was sent (GMT-Ocean 1 with the shield dial). I wanted the GMT Master homage dial. Shipping cost to me was also reimbursed.

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed the review.

Thanks,

Vernon
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Excellent review! :thumbsup:

It seems you have a winner there!

How is the accuracy of the watch?
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Watch reviews are always a treat to read. Thanks for posting this one, Vernon! :cool:
  4. roadcarver

roadcarver

Bronze Member
    Thanks Bo. As for accuracy, I haven't timed it yet, I'll get that done soon.

5. roadcarver

roadcarver

Bronze Member
    Thanks Jeff. I'm glad you enjoyed reading as much I enjoyed putting it together.

6. dr_rolex

dr_rolex

TKF Newbie
    If I may..............

What should one expect to invest to get one?

Cool watch.
  7. roadcarver

roadcarver

Bronze Member
    This puppy costs $635.00. It used to be $545.00 USD. Looks like everyone is going on the price increase band wagon

8. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    well written reveiw! :thumbsup:
  9. FLtime

FLtime

TKF Newbie
    I sold a DEBAUFRE SWISS WATCH OCEAN - 1 CLASSIC EDITION 42MM on Ebay in July for $345.
    And I sold a DEBAUFRE SWISS PILOT WATCH NAVB AUTOMATIC ORANGE 48 MM for $398. The strap on this one was amazing, very thick and rugged.
    They were gently used. They belonged to a friend of mine. Nice looking watches.

Attached Files:

10. FLtime

FLtime

TKF Newbie
    oh yeah, and with double layer boxes and all the paperwork!!
  11. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :goodpost: Not sure how I missed this one for all that time.

Cool watches you have for sale Eileen
  12. jpnycpa

jpnycpa

TKF Newbie
    i have a debaufre myself .. a black pvd csar / manual unitas movt