MKII Sea Fighter on UTS Mesh

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Dan Pierce, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    I miss my Marathon as much as my son loves wearing it. Damn kids. So I was looking for a replacement. Wanted a simple, practical, beater/ diver with as many features as possible at a good price.

Meet the MKII Sea Fighter on UTS mesh. Designed after the 1970's, German Navy issued, Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Bill Yao has prebuilt Swiss made sport watches as well as custom ordered versions he assembles in the US. This model, excluding the UTS mesh, was a pre made example. Either can be ordered online.
    The package includes:
    - 42.35mm diameter case.
    - ETA Day/date version featuring highly decorated Elabore grade 2836 movement
    - WR at 200m, double gasket, w/ large screw down crown @ 4:00.
    - 12 hour, unidirectional, GMT bezel, 120 click, luminous dot, coin edge.
    - Double dome, AR coated, sapphire crystal.
    - 24 hour Military dial, black
    - Polished or bead blasted case.
    - Very comfortable rubber strap.
    - 22mm strap w/ screw pins
    - 3 watch carrying case w/ strap removal tools, Loctite, extra screw pin, instruction booklet, warranty card.
    - Superluminova
    - Day [English, German] /date
    - Red second hand
    - MSRP $685.00
    UTS Mesh:
    - 5mm thick w/ double deployant clasp.
    - Polished.
    - German made and hand finished.
    Impressions:
    Wears much like a Marathon with it's deep set dial. The SF bezel has a lower profile in comparison and seems to "sit" a bit lower with a wider stance. The all polished finish is a big contrast to the all brushed SAR. Much more low key than I thought it'd be though. The highly polished case and mesh bracelet were a concern at first but it's much less bling than feared. The combo makes for a substantial presence and fit well together. The 2nd time zone will make this the perfect beater for travel. The Sea Fighter has substantial weight on it's own and although the rubber strap is extremely comfortable the added heft of the mesh balances the watch when worn very nicely. Plus, the comfort of the mesh was a real suprise. Lots of compliance for such a thick mesh. My first mesh, likely not my last.
    All in all, more features [that I use] than the Marathon, a classic yet unusual design, feature packed, tool watch. Still love the Marathon SAR though.
    Thanks for reading,
    dP

Attached Files:

2. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Dan,

Very good review. From looking at the watch, I would have thought it would have been more than what you stated. The dial has a look that is very distinctive and when combined with the mesh bracelet gives it a unique look that is really good.

Thanks for sharing.

John
  3. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Thanks, John.:cheers: The SF is a real value. I did splurge on the mesh[$345.00] and really glad I did because it matches the MKII well and is of a very high quality.:thumbsup:
    dP
  4. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Nice review, Dan! :thumbsup: You get a good bang for the buck with that watch! I love the case the watch comes in... VERY COOL! :coolanimated:
  5. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Nice one Dan, this would make a great aid for those people on the market seeking a beater or value watch :cheers: Well done :thumbsup:
  6. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    GREAT review, Dan! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thanks for taking the time to share your impressions on this stunner! :goodpost:
  7. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Thank you very much for the review Dan, that watch certainly sits handsomely on your wrist with that beautiful mesh bracelet, congratulations, may you wear your stunning watch in the very best of health.
  8. Letsgodiving

Letsgodiving

Bronze Member
    That is the best looking watch I've seen in a long time. At roughly 1/10 of the price of an SD it almost makes me wonder. :thinking:

Great looking piece!!:thumbsup:
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Believe me, I know how you feel. Have wondered the same thing in the past after checking out other brands.
  10. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Good review. Makes you wonder doen't it, when you see the quality and value of this watch at the price, compared to high end watches costing 8x as much. Makes you realize, that when you buy a Rolex (or others) you are paying more for the name and the status symbol.
  11. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody.:thumbsup: Overall the fit and finish are very nice for an affordable Swiss watch. The 120 click bezel sits perfectly centered @ 12:00, has a luminus dot, and easy to grip coin edge. When rotating the bezel the feel is not quite as smooth as a Rolex, especially the ceramic bezels, yet still clicks precisely.
    The design of the case, dial, and bezel make it wear larger than it's size much like a Rolex. The 22mm bracelet/ strap size keep the watch head from looking too large and creat a perfect balance.
    And the UTS mesh..................what a masterpiece. The substantial heft of the mesh adds to the overall quality of this timepiece. Can't say enough about the comfort. Plus it won't show scratches and stretch should not be a problem. The downside to the mesh is sizing. Luckily I had to make no adjustments at all. There are 4 removable links at the clasp requiring a very small screwdriver.
    So far everyone that's seen it in person are impressed.
    dP

Attached Files:

12. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    It would be awesome if you could post a lumeshot, Dave! :worship:
  13. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Bo,
    Very similar to a Marathon SAR. I tried once but the lume shot didn't turn out. I'll give it another go.:thumbsup:
    dP
  14. Dan Pierce

Dan Pierce

Silver Member
    Lume !!

Attached Files:

15. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Holy crap, GREAT lume and shot of it Dan! This is really a fantastic watch for the money, just further makes me wonder :thumbsup: :cheers:
  16. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great lume, Dan! :thumbsup:
  17. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Agreed, great lume shot, thank you very much Dan.
  18. Elmo

Elmo

Bronze Member
    MMT Blackwater

I have a custom designed Blackwater MMT on order [3 month delivery]. Kind of fun to hack around with design choices on the web site. My need was/is for a watch to time my morning swim. Note the large minute hand

This image is presented at the end of the design process:
    [​IMG]