My Fiddy Base

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by BlueB6, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BlueB6

BlueB6

Bronze Member
    A Fiddy Base? But no such watch exists!

Not in the OP catalogue anyways. When I had my 210, I came to love the simplicity of a base movement watch. Putting gold hands on it made it even better. However, the allure of the fiddy (PAM127) case was always tapping me on the shoulder, but the way fiddy prices have shot through the stratosphere, there's no way I could ever afford one. Getting an RXW MM20 scratched that itch a bit, but I wanted a base fiddy.

Last winter I started searching for parts and slowly picked up a case, a base dial and a set of hands. My buddy is a watchmaker and he said he could put it all together adn even modify a Swiss made unitas 6497 movement to delete the seconds hand and make it into a base movement.

The dial is aftermarket and of course the lume sucked. So I did some research, decided to buy some Nite-Glo from my contact in Australia and lumed up the dial myself. I'm currently luming a blank dial (no MM branding) and will install this in the coming month.

Anyways, with this year's Basel show, there was much talk (and subsequent disappointment) when Panerai did not unviel a Fiddy base.

So... here's mine:

[​IMG]
  2. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Nice :thumbsup: :coolanimated: :cool:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    AWESOME!!! What kind of reception has this watch received from other Paneristi? I'd imagine there's some purists out there who'd give you a hard time for creating your own unique model. I, personally, LOVE IT! :rocking: :rocking: :rocking:
  4. BlueB6

BlueB6

Bronze Member
    To be honest, I haven't had the ka-Jone-eeze :laugh: to post it up on paneristi for exactly the reason you state. That said, I did post it up on Panereh, the Canadian panerai site and it got a very warm reception.

I love this watch. It's big at 47mm but since I'm 6'6" and 225, it sort of works on me. :cheers: My fiddy base and my RXW get the most wrist time right now. But with winter coming, I'm sure I'll be strapping on my Archers more frequently, since there's no issue with them fitting under a cuff. ;)
  5. BlueB6

BlueB6

Bronze Member
    BTW.... the strap on my fiddy is an Atomic Strap. :cheers:
  6. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's one helluva :coolanimated: modification! :rocker:

Gotta love your strap, too! :cool:

I wonder: Could you make straps in synthetic (like Kevlar) or even natural rubber, as well? I'd love either such type strap on the PAM 233 that I will save for as my next watch (will take a lot of time!) instead of a leather strap or OEM Panerai rubber strap (I don't like the "PANERAI" branding on the latter one).
  7. BlueB6

BlueB6

Bronze Member
    Hi Bo, thanks for the kind words. I haven't worked with either kevlar or rubber. Kevlar is relatively easy to obtain, but rubber... well that takes technology that I won't ever have and rather goes against my strap making ethos, i.e. hand made straps. Pretty sure you can't 'hand make' a rubber strap.

The OP rubber strap is outstanding though, and there are leather straps you can get that are waterproof. I would say the Mario Paci waterproof leather strap is one of, if not the, best of the bunch.
  8. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Very nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  9. Robb

Robb

Premium Member
    A beauty!!!!! Congrats
  10. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Very nice looking! :thumbsup: