Never thought I would be a Cartier owner!

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Carl, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Well, folks, after much anticipation, I was able to pick up my Calibre de Cartier today.
    Unfortunately, my good friend Ian (Shandy) could not accompany me, so the photos I took at home really don't do justice to the watch. Still, I simply had to post my own photos, the only appropriate thing to do really!
    So much for saying that I am only into small watches now! This timepiece - at 42mm - actually seems to wearer larger. With the crown guards, it is more like 45mm anyway, and the narrow bezel also makes it appear bigger.
    It certainly is the most stunning piece I have ever owned. The dial is very unique, but definitely Cartier. It is - bar none - the best fitting watch I have ever owned or tried. It sits majestically on my wrist, as though it really belongs there, and just feels like it doesn't even need a strap or bracelet to hold it. The massive XII at 12o'clock and the large small seconds hand really give it a presence:

[​IMG]

The date window, although it appears quite large in photos, actually fits the dial well in real life. At this moment, today's date is covered by the minute hand, but I can see the previous and next date, so there is a reason behind displaying the three dates. I can actually read the small seconds without my glasses, being the size it is.
    The bracelet is, to me, an integral part of this watch. Knowing that Cartier designed the bracelet specifically for this watch, makes it even more special. The metal bracelet was actually only introduced a year after the watch came out. I always wanted a watch with lug holes, now I have even more: every single link in the bracelet has its own set of screws. Maybe not totally necessary, but totally Cartier, and I love them.
    The crown guards tend to give the watch a bit of the Panerai look, without looking as though Cartier is trying to copy them.
    The polished bits are the best polish I have seen on any watch, and they just seem to be in the right places. The center part of the links are polished, and the outside of the bezel as well. The edges of the bracelet are brushed, as are the sides of the case and the inside of the bezel, which slopes in to the edges of the crystal. The edges of the curved crystal are actually set about 1-2mm inside of the bezel.
    Only the edges of the lugs and of the crown guards are polished, and gives just the right amount of shine withoug being blingy.
    Although the watch is big, it is not too thick, so it sits well on the wrist without being "top heavy".
    Hopefully, you can get an idea of how well this fits. I should have better pics in the next week or so, when I get together with Ian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for reading and looking!
    Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  2. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    That is a beautiful watch Carl, the detailing on the face is sublime, and the blue jewel on the winding crown sets it off a treat. It looks very much at home on your wrist, wear it in the very best of health. :thumbsup:
  3. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    LOOKS really nice.
  4. porschefan

porschefan

Bronze Member
    Gorgeous watch. I look at that same model every time I walk past the local Cartier store.
  5. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    The curved lugs look like they will make it really hug the wrist well and I agree with Dave - the blue jewel on the crown is the bomb! Nice acquisition!!! :worship:
  6. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    I have never tried on a watch that hugs the wrist as well as this! If you like a big watch, don't be fooled by the 42mm case size. It wears a lot larger! At times, it feels as though I have a small clock attached to my wrist.
    It is really difficult to describe the feeling of this watch. It has a magical, mystical feel to it for me. It is bold and majestic, yet not blingy. It is unmistakably Cartier, but definitely a man's watch. I wore this with shorts and a t-shirt today, but I would not hesitate to wear it with a Tux or a good suit (if I had either, that is!)
    I have the bracelet fairly loose (the old "small finger fits between clasp and wrist" thing), but the watch almost feels as though it has a life and it is grabbing my wrist and doesn't want to let go.
    The blue sapphire on the crown is really the "crowning glory". Very subtle, and not always noticeable. A fine example of why they say that a watch is the ultimate form of jewellery!
    I really love my Explorer I, but it is going to be really hard to let this Cartier go when I return to work on Monday!
    Cheers,
    Carl
  7. G.J.

G.J.

Silver Member
    A gorgeous watch Carl..:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  8. Rigsby

Rigsby

Premium Member
    Very nice.
  9. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    Looks great on the wrist! :thumbsup::thumbsup:
  10. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Huge congrats on that stunner of a Cartier, Carl! :beardjump:

It looks the business on your wrist! :worship:

Thanks for sharing you impression of the watch and all the details! :thumbsup:

I am moving this to the Watch Reviews area since your report is so detailed! :goodpost:
  11. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Nice watch and looks great on your wrist! Cartier makes superior watches that are very durable. Great company.

Cartier, as you can tell from your watch, has some of the best, most comfy bracelets out there. Was looking at Cartier watches the other day and buddy of mine is seriously considering a Roadster after he tried it on.

Congrads on a Superb watch!!!!!!!
  12. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Congrats mate, that is one sweet looking watch.

Enjoy!!

Sent from my Droid
  13. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    That dial is incredible.
  14. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    A few more observations, mostly about the movement

Well, as I said, I have been learning more about the movement.
    The big thing about the movement for me is the stability, or the consistent accuracy, whether the watch is worn a lot, just a couple of days a week, or even just an hour a day. According to the Cartier website, the movement is "Equipped with a double barrel,that guarantees long-term consistency of the mainspring." To be honest, I am still trying to grasp how that plays a role :thinking:. Another article mentions that the twin barrels provide a steadier flow of power to the escapement. As I will probably only wear the watch on weekends - keeping it wound during the week, of course - the fact that the watch will maintain it's accuracy for about 48 hours while you are not wearing it, and it's not getting wound, is good news for me :thumbsup:.
    When the watch is worn, the rotor is able to wind the movement in both directions. Here is a quote from another article, which I saved:
    "Cartier also paid close attention to the winding system. Ceramic ball bearings :coolanimated: at the center of the rotor ensure excellent shock resistance and durability. Cartier abandoned reversers in favor of a pawl system to speed winding, and a bi-directional full-size rotor assures maximum winding efficiency." Quite impressive that it uses ceramic ball bearings instead of oil for smoothness. Apparently this is also great for shock resistence and of course makes it more durable.
    The watch at the moment, seems to run a bit on the slow side. Last couple of days, lost about 4-5 seconds per day. Same both days, though, one day I was wearing it and today I am not.
    Remarkably easy to wind! It does not have a screw down crown, and when I wind it, it almost feels that there is no resistence at all, it is so smooth.
    I am so used to giving my Rolex a wash every night, the WR of the Cartier at 30m kind of concerned me. I was pleasantly surprised, however, to read in the manual, and see on the DVD that came with the watch, that a frequent washing with soapy water is recommended to preserve the water reistance! Cartier even provides a small cleaning kit with a soft brush, cleaner/lubricant for the bracelet and they recommend using that every couple of months.
    Now that I have had the watch for a few days, I am beginning to see how really solid and robust it is. The bracelet itself is a work of art.
    Well, enough info for now. I am even starting to confuse myself!
    Sorry for rambling :mouthtape:.
    Carl
  15. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's way :coolanimated:

If Cartier states in the manual that you can wash the wash, you don't have to worry about water damage due to washing it since that would be covered by the guarantee... taken you make sure the crown is pushed fully in and the the seals and gaskets are fresh...
  16. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    They do mention all that as well :smile: Suggesting, as well, that the WR is checked by Cartier every 2-3 years. I am still careful, just wash it with a wet, soft cloth so that I don't soak it. It is not designed for diving, as the Rolex models, so I try to respect that.
    Carl
  17. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    What a great watch You got Yourself, Carl :cheers:

All the best with it and Thanks for the brilliant write ups :yourock:
  18. onefive15

onefive15

Bronze Member
    WOW! now that is a handsome watch:thumbsup: I think it looks better than the Santos:worship:
  19. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Excellent review, Carl! :thumbsup: GREAT looking watch too! :beardjump:
  20. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Went again with buddy to try on watches, he has been looking at Cartiers. Examined and tried on the Caliber. Love it. Fits like a glove. I tell you, if it had 100m WR and screw down crown, even though it has a date feature, I would have taken out my credit card and bought on the spot. My buddy has a very small wrist, being of south Indian descent, and it looks great on him and wrapped around his wrist perfect even at 42mm. He is not much into action pursuits and would not wear it swimming so I am encouraging him to buy it. He loves it and is going to sleep on it. He is getting married in several months and just bought ring for his wife to be that cost twice the amount, so I am telling him he owes himself. Might as well get a great Cartier now and wear for the next 30 years as after married and kids down the road be hard to get. What is interesting, he tried on many 40mm watch and they looked too big on him and did not wear right, including some Rolex models. But with the Caliber, the way the lugs curve around it fits great on him. So whether you have a big or small wrist, this is a great looking and fitting watch. Now, as most of you know I am not a fan of date features, but in the Metal, the date feature on this watch actually looks good and really blends into the dial.