New Explorer II & GMT-C Comparison

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by sheldonsmith, Mar 4, 2012.

1. sheldonsmith

sheldonsmith

Premium Member
    Hi All,

I just finished comparing the new Explorer II and the GMT II - C

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The Explorer II debuted at the Basel 2011 show and the buzz about the watch has not died down. The increased size to a 42mm case, the updated luminescence, Paraflex shock mechanism for the balance wheel, and of course the orange hand, make the Explorer II stand out from the rest of the Rolex line.

[​IMG]

On the left is the GMT-C and on the right is the Explorer II. The case thickness between both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 12mm and the Explorer II being 12.45mm. The Explorer II case is slightly longer as it is wider being 48.70 long versus 46.38mm on the GMT-C. The image does not adequately capture how the Explorer II case has more of a curvature than the flatter GMT-C case. The weight of both watches is very similar with the GMT-C being 145g versus the Explorer II being 150g (weighed with two links removed from the watch strap).

[​IMG]

One of the chief complaints on the traditional GMT and Explorer II models was that the Twinloc crown was too small to operate. Rolex answered that criticism by adding the larger Triploc winding crown found on the Submariners.

Rolex answered the small crown criticism on the new Explorer II by fitting it with a larger Twinloc crown, the same one that is found on the Milgauss. Although not as water resistant as the Triploc, it is still plenty water proof and easier to operate.

There is more to the review and more images posted here. All errors and omissions are mine, so feel free to point them out.

Cheers,

Sheldon
  2. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Great write-up Sheldon! :thumbsup: I found this part of the article quite interesting...

3 for 3 is a pretty good indicator, but I know we have quite a few new Exp II owners here and I wonder if they can comment on this as well. It is a small thing but if Rolex figured this out on one model, maybe just maybe it's the wave of the future! :rocker:
  3. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Well done Sheldon!
    As for the crown alignment .......mine is 90 degrees off being vertical.

Sent from my Droid
  4. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Nice review / comparison, Sheldon! :goodpost:

As for alignment of the Rolex coronet on the winding crown of my Explorer II 216570, it IS aligned.... ALONG the case! :lol:

So in other words, the crown lies on its side... the "balls" of the coronet pointing towards the 12-side of the case.
  5. sheldonsmith

sheldonsmith

Premium Member
    Wow, guess I found an anomaly. Thanks for the input and I'll make a correction.

-Sheldon
  6. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Dang, I was really hoping Rolex figured this one out. :banghead:
  7. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Awesome review, Mate:thumbsup:
  8. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :goodpost: Sheldon :thumbsup: I always enjoy reading your posts and website in general. Keep up the good work! :cheers:
  9. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Thanks, Sheldon! Top notch as always! :thumbsup:
  10. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Great review as always. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
  11. alstonnelson

alstonnelson

TKF Newbie
    I prefer GMT explorer II with Twinlock crown was too small to operate, but all over the watch is good to use .