Nomos Tangomat GMT9 Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Baco Noir, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I am a bit delinquent in getting to this review, but better late than never I'm told! I was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time earlier this year and was able to buy one of the beta test models of the Tangomat GMT from Nomos. They made 4 variations of this watch for a total of 150 pieces and sold them to enthusiasts to try out and give them feedback before they decided on the final model and any changes that might be needed. The four (4) variations were the GMT 6, GMT 9, GMT 12 and GMT +/-. The first 3 models were named based on where the window was on the dial for the GMT city abbreviation for the time shown on the dial. The +/- version showed the number of hours difference between the current location and GMT.

The 4 things that really drew me to this watch were:
    • White dial with blue hands in a SS case
    • GMT function
    • In-house German movement

I had been drooling over this ever since I saw it and decided to call the US importer to see if there was any way to get one. They had not even heard of the model but made some calls and called me back a few days later. I was told there was one GMT 9 at the factory and it could be mine if I wanted it! Of the 4 variations, the GMT 9 was the one I liked best and might have hesitated had it been a different one, but to me the GMT 9 had the most balanced dial.

[​IMG]

Nomos is located in Glashutte, Germany which has a rich tradition of watch making. Nomos used an in-house automatic Calibre Xi movement for this watch, which required 23 new components. The movement is set in a 40mm wide polished stainless steel Tangomat case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The thin blued-steel hands are easy to read on the dial and with no bezel, the dial takes up more of the full 40mm diameter and makes it feel like a bigger watch, yet it is under 11mm thick so it rides lightly on the wrist. A small second’s dial gives the watch a clean and classic look. The watch has a sapphire crystal on the front and back.

[​IMG]

It is a world time movement with a pusher at the 2 o’clock position that cycles through time zones on the dial and in the GMT city window, while maintaining your home time in the 3 o’clock window. The home time is set using a small pusher inset on the side of the case. The Xi movement is really simple to use and does not even require you to take the watch off or pull out the crown to change the time zone.

If I had been in the test group giving feedback to Nomos, the things I’d suggest changing would be:
    1. Make the hands about 50% thicker so the blue captures a bit more light
    2. Move the time zone pusher to the 10 o’clock position (when worn loosely, the pusher can get depressed by wrist movement in its present location)
    3. Soften the corner on the bottom extreme of the lugs as it can pinch when worn loosely
    4. Add a date feature

Overall, I’d give the Nomos Tangomat GMT9 an 8.5 out of 10 for design, aesthetics and function. :thumbsup:
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Lovely review, Roger! :goodpost:

How's your NOMOS doing in the timekeeping department? :thinking:
  3. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Beautiful watch and great review. Reminds me a bit of the IWC Portuguese Chronograph.
  4. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks Bo. I haven't timed it again since I bought it, but with everything on the winder, I have noticed that it's keeping time in line with my Sea Dweller so it can't be too bad.

Thanks Chris! The IWC is a gorgeous watch so I'll happily accept that compliment! :thumbsup:
  5. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Great review, Roger :goodpost:

Is indeed a very classy looking watch :thumbsup:
  6. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    :lol: Probably why it doesn't get as much wrist time as my others. It goes on business trips and out to nice dinners, but otherwise hang out at home! :rofl:
  7. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Great review Roger and I really like that watch.
    Nomos has been on my radar for years now and the more I see them the more I like them.
  8. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    Also, your photos are really top notch!
  9. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    They make great watches at a fairly reasonable price point.

Getting better, but still have a lot to learn. Going to have to learn to use that copy of Lightroom I bought, but that requires some free time. I did see they have free video lessons on the "Adobe TV" section of their website. :thumbsup:
  10. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Very nice review, Roger! I've always wondered exactly how your Nomos works, and now I know! :thumbsup:
  11. Marrk

Marrk

Silver Member
    Beautiful watch. Great review.

The watch looks wafer-like in pictures. I wondered how thick it was. Now, I know. Also, it was very interesting to learn how they sorted out the GMT function.

Thanks. :goodpost:
  12. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    :worship: It's a beauty! If you get a chance, email Nomos and ask them to send you a catalogue. I got two gorgeous bound soft cover books, with tons of information and gorgeous photos of all their watches. I was sincerely looking to order one of their watches at one time.
    They really seem to make a quality product, with a reasonable price. I have yet to see a Nomos watch in person, though. There is only one AD in Canada, located in Winnipeg, Manitoba, smack in the middle of the country.
    I guess what attracted me at first was their simply Tangente with no date.
    Thanks for the excellent write-up and photos!
    Cheers :cheers:
    Carl
  13. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Decided to time it this week and on the winder it was -23 sec over 5 days, or -4.6 sec/day. Not to shabby! :thumbsup:
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's only very slightly out of COSC specs... very nice! :thumbsup:
  15. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Found this additional information on the Nomos website about the Xi movement they use in the Tangomat GMT.

[​IMG]

Movement: ξ (Xi)—manufactory caliber with automatic winding and world time indicator

Diameter: 13 ¾ lines (31 mm)

Movement height: 5.7 mm

Jewels: 26 rubies

Power reserve: ca. 42 hours

Characteristics: world time mechanism; bidirectional winding rotor; stop-seconds mechanism; Glashütte three-quarter plate and Glashütte stopwork; Triovis fine adjustment regulator (adjusted in six positions); balance spring made from Nivarox 1A; Incabloc shock protection; tempered blue screws; Glashütte sunburst on ratchet and crown wheel; rhodium-plated movement surfaces with Glashütte ribbing and NOMOS perlage
  16. waltnich

waltnich

TKF Newbie
    Nice review and scans to go with it. Thanks