One Armed Bandit

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by RegF, Jun 19, 2013.

1. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    The FedEx guy turned up about 10 am this morning.

Not only is the watch cool and beautifully finished and disturbingly calming, the packaging it came is characterful and intriguing as well

The outer sleeve has all these quotes in English on one side and German on the reverse. The sides do the same thing

[​IMG]

The box itself looks like a book. Nifty! I hear that books are predicted to make scrolls obsolete, but that's just crazy talk. It is a nice box though..

[​IMG]

When you open the book the watch seems to be "floating" in space inside

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Its hard to photograph, but there is a frame with two sides and sheets of clear plastic film stretched across each of them and folded over the top and bottom of the watch. How cool is that? The inner surface is covered in velour and the instructions etc have a little pocket on the inside cover. Fortunately I resisted the urge to rip the plastic to bits as the frame lifts out, and a folded angle flips back to let you open the twin frames that enclose the watch.

[​IMG]

Who ever thought this up is a genius. It looks awesome, is seriously cool and suspends the watch for perfect shock protection in transit. Sheer brilliance! And this is just the box! The inclusions tell you some snippets of the history and highlights of time measurement and then delves into the brand, and its philosophy. Made a nice morning breakfast read over my muesli.

Now the watch.

It is stunning, even more so when you consider the price.

The face has a finely engraved sunburst pattern that catches light a lot more than I remember in the shop. The detail of the 144 dial marks is superbly crisp and precise. The finish to the case surfaces is just outstanding And that single hand is just mesmerising along with the leading "0" on the dial - the company's claim that it is an instrument, not a watch start to make sense.

[​IMG]

Nicely decorated and worked Unitas movement with the necessary changes for single handedness and date

[​IMG]

The strap is calf leather patterned with an alligator like finish and is lined on the inner surface. It's a little stiff at first, but that is not unexpected nor uncomfortable. The stitching is a nice contrast. There are a bunch of strap options, but I liked this one bestThe buckle also has their logo engraved into it subtly - the musical note notation fermata which means "pause". If I was to be really, really picky then the hole size in the strap is a bit small and round for the larger rectangular pin. But that is REALLY splitting hairs. It is slightly flat to wear, even though the lugs turndown they are only a few mm below the fairly flat case back. My wrist is 7.5in/19cm and it fits okay ( thisis the 38mm version BTW - there is a 42mm)

[​IMG]

I'd read all the hype about the calming nature of the thing, but it was weird. I spent the first 20 minutes after I put it on looking up from it to the wall clock to make sure it was running okay. After that, then walking to the doctors and home again it did influence the fact that as casual glance meant I could tell "Its about 20 past 1, time to go" I don't know and don't care how many seconds a day it gains or loses. It's all about the 5 minute intervals when this is on your wrist. It's fair to say tis little beuty has stolen my heart for the time being

Its around the right time to relax now...

[​IMG]

Sent from my Bath using Tap Talk
  2. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Nice review and pics mate! Congrats on the watch!

Is it an adjustment to go from this to one of your other watches, as far as telling time goes?
  3. RegF

RegF

Silver Member
    It freaked me out at first, but after about 20minutes ( notice the "about"?) I really did start to chill out and take things a bit more calmly.

Even without my glasses on I can glance at it and tell its pretty late.

The loss of the minute hand is compensated for by the absolutely crystal clear 5-minute increment markins around the dial and the fact the hand's tip is thin and sharp and goes all the way to them. There is no confusion after a brief adjustment because the marks use the same sort of size or more accurately I suppose length, system that we are used to seeing on rulers, and other measuring instruments. Major divisions are long and slightly thicker, Half shorter , quarter shorter again and 5 minute increments the finest and shortest

Beyond that, who cares?

It really has been a fun and relaxed day.

And the dealer was awesome. More on that when we get the dealer review section.
    Korean Cowboy likes this.
  4. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Thanks for clarifying! I've seen a few of these types of watches, and me being me, I want something a little bit different...I may follow your lead and pull the trigger someday.

Dealer Review Section? Hmm, interesting...we really do need that. I'll reach out to the other members to see what they think. Thanks for the suggestion!