Review 5+6: Linde Werdelin - The finer details and pro and cons

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by jan_j, Jun 19, 2010.

1. jan_j

jan_j

Bronze Member
    Review 6: Linde Werdelin - what is the deal with this watch - what category?

This is my almost final review of my Linde Werdelin Elemental watch which I have had on my wrist for over a month now.

And what is my feeling now - It has been a little roller coaster ride. The initial feeling was very positive, then I had some questions on the bezel and straps that I feel is not up to the expected standard, and now back to a feeling that this watch could be my daily watch - It is starting to grow more and more on me.

Let me start by telling you on my feeling of wearing a "unknown" watch - as this watch is NOT as easy to recognize as a Rolex, Omega or Panerai.I guess it is like wearing a Patek Phillip - only the real WIS people can spot it from a distance - all others just see a watch.

It is the same wit the Linde Werdelin watch - I would guess that only a very few people would recognize this watch - and if they can I know I can have a real watch talk with these people ;-).

And having a "unknown" watch brand on the wrist is funny for a WIS as me. All my friends know I'm into watches, and they ask me what is watch, where is my rolex, where is my big watch (Panerai) and what brand is that, etc.

I still have some minor issues I would love to be "fixed". The strap option is one issue. I miss a rubber strap to give my final verdict, and I will get one in the time to come.
    Next is the rotating bezel - somehow it feels a little "cheap" - it works, and I think it will function well - but for I lack the "sound" when you turn it.

Some times the quality in the sound and feel is very difficult to describe - the same as a Mercedes/Audi/Volvo car door vs a "Suzuki" car door - you can almost hear the quality by the sound.

My other issues with the Linde Werdelin is the "extra" you get. I like the idea behind the brand, the design, the concept and the movement (I like the ETA movement).

But some of the latest models from Linde Werdelin makes me feel that LW is moving into a different category than a super design sports and adventure watch into a High End fashion brand.
    In the present model range it is only "The One" that I feel is really true to the original idea. I like the Oktopus and the SpidoLite models, but the price is also in the high end.

All in all I like "my" watch - The LW Elemental - it grows on me - it has a nice look, it is a dress watch with the textile strap.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Review 5: Linde Werdelin - peoples feedback to my photos and reviews.

Not really a review - but I have received relative much feedback on the photos and my reviews of the watch that I want to share.

In general people are split into 4 groups on this watch.

Like it, know it and want it
    Like it, don't know it and want to know more
    Like it, maybe they know it and maybe they want it
    Don't Like it and don't want it

Don't Like it and don't want it

The people that don't like it are mainly people that will focus on Rolex and Panerai watches, they like the "history" of the watches, the look and the general just want to stay true to know brands.
    The design of the LW watch is also something very special - and something you need to like. The design can look like that of watches to about 100-200 Euros - a cheap fashion watch - not easy to recognize for a non-WIS.
    That is not a problem with Rolex or Panerai - these watch designs are "well known" by many people.

Like it, don't know it and want to know more

Then we have the people that like it but don't know it. These people are becoming more and more. The LW brand is slowly becoming a relative "known" brand - is on the radar of many people.
    But these persons would like even more information on the brand - even asking about the price (easy to see on the LW website), and where to get the watch.
    These people are not close to getting this watch but they are starting to "knowing" the brand.
    Up front they like the look, the design and the size.

Like it, maybe they know it and maybe they want it
    The we have people that know about the brand, they are keeping a eye on this brand, the new models, the stories, etc.
    These people maybe want this watch - they are 70-90% close to making a deal on a LW watch - but they keep falling back to known brands with known resale value and known by other people than die-hard WIS.

They like that the numbers of LW watches are limited, that the brand is upcoming, the use of high end ETA movement (on some models) and the idea behind the brand (design and vision).

But there is a need for taking the final step - they need to try out the watch - the try-out program by LW is not enough - sometimes when shopping around for a watch you return to a store many times - try out the watch - compare it to other watches, and come back again to try one more time. You can easy go back to a shop 2-3-4 times to try out a watch before you "pay the bill".

I have the same feeling about the Rolex Deep Sea - that is one I need to try out a few times before jumping into.

People are also glad to read review of the LW watches - from people that have it in real life and can describe the watch in "true" words.

These people are close to becoming a LW owner - some will back down when - some will move ahead.

Like it, know it and want it
    Here we are very close to having a new LW person - but again the thing to stop these people is the same as the group above - They see the positive aspects of the LW brand is would like one - they just need to "justify" it.

To sum up the LW in pro and cons from peoples feedback.

Pro:

The Design - it is new - looks cool and is just the right size.
    It is unique - limited numbers is a plus - if not then the ETA movement in a case is way overpriced
    The Movement - ETA is a BIG plus - easy to get fixed all over the world.
    The idea behind the brand - people like that there are people behind the brand.
    Unique designs on "new" watches ...

Cons:
    The price - well this is often the saying - I have to select between rolex/panerai and a LW - ???
    Unknown second hand price - if I want to sell this watch - what will I loose ( second hand price for Rolex / panerai and other brands are well known)
    Have only see pictures - I like it - but will I like it in person - and this is when the price and other brands "win".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Rigsby

Rigsby

Premium Member
    Love the pics,,,but do you do a short version
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Jan, what a fantastic review! :goodpost: :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:

Just one question: You share "Review 1" plus "Review # 3 + 5 and 6", but where are your reviews # 2 and 4? :thinking:
  4. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    I like it, and now I know more! I think I want it, but need to see one in person first. Many thanks for the hard work and lengthy consideration Jan, excellent review!
  5. Four Thirds

Four Thirds

Silver Member
    Those are some great looking pictures you took.:thumbsup:
  6. Neptune's Lair

Neptune's Lair

Bronze Member
    Fantastic pictures and a very cool watches!
  7. Robb

Robb

Premium Member
    Your pics could make me want any watch!!!! Unbelievable