Review of the Helson Titanium Shark Diver

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Baco Noir, May 8, 2011.

1. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    The Basics

Case: Bead blasted titanium

Case Dimensions: 45 mm diameter, 18 mm tall, and 24 mm lug spacing.

Other Case features: Screw down crown with crown guards, a helium escape valve, and a water resistance rating of 2,000 meters / 6,600 feet

Dial: Blue carbon fiber with the date window at the 4:30 position

Crystal: 4mm thick sapphire crystal with AR coating on the inside

Movement: ETA 2824-2

Antimagnetic rating:70,000 A/m

Weight: 140g with rubber strap

Okay, well now that the basics are on the table, let’s get started with the review:

Movement: The ETA 2824-2 is an automatic winding, 25 jewel movement that is a workhorse in the industry. Excellent choice for this watch. I haven’t done extensive timing tests on how this one is performing yet, but did check after the 1st 24 hours and it was +1 second! (10/10)

Dial: I bought the blue carbon fiber dial version. They also make a black (sold out), grey dial, a black carbon fiber, and a red carbon fiber version. All have the date window at 4:30. The lume is applied evenly, the ticks on the outer edges of the dial for hours and minutes are very uniform, and the printing on the dial is crisp and clean – well done! (10/10)

[​IMG]

Hands: The hands are unique in that they are a matte steel finish instead of the usual polished steel or white gold. I like that – it says “tool watch” to me. The minute hand is a sword hand and is oversized for easy readability while diving. The hour hand is a stick hand and easy to see in the daylight. I would have preferred it to be a bit wider (25-50%) so it had a little more lume on it for night time. The second hand is well done – thin, with the luminous circular marker placed so 1/2 of it crosses over the inside edge of the hour markers as it sweeps the dial (see lume shot at end). (8/10)

Straps: The watch comes with two rubber straps – one with a SS buckle and one with a Ti buckle. The Ti buckle is signed “Helson”, while the SS one is signed “H”. While the style of rubber strap is odd looking (more pictures below in the "case" section), it is very comfortable. The curves in the strap let air circulate between the rubber and your wrist so it doesn’t get sweaty like I have felt with other rubber straps. They also act in an “elastic” way and allow the watch strap to be cinched tight without being the least bit uncomfortable, which keeps the 18mm tall head from moving around on your wrist. While I am not 100% in love with the style of the strap, I do think it fits with the size of the watch and is very comfortable. Two things I’d change: 1) I wish the watch came with a Ti metal bracelet. I know that would add to the cost, but I think it would take the watch up a level. 2) The second strap should come with a Ti buckle too IMHO. (6.5/10)

[​IMG]

Case: While the 45mm diameter and 18mm thickness may turn some people off, since it was made from titanium and I have a 7.5” wrist, it didn’t bother me. I have yet to have the crown dig into the top of my hand because like I said earlier, the rubber strap design holds this big monster in place during daily wear. The case includes a helium escape valve that helps the watch achieve its 2000 meter / 6600 feet depth rating. The crown guards are chunky and industrial looking – again it says “tool watch” in its design. The winding crown is SS and signed with an “H”. The lugs also have some curvature at the ends to bring the strap closer to your wrist. (9/10)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bezel: It has a 120 click rotating bezel with luminous markers. It has deep groves for easy gripping even while diving and wearing gloves, it operates smoothly but is the loudest one I own. I could not find any information on Helson's website about what material the bezel insert is made from and the package does not come with a manual. The easy readability and the lume factor on the bezel keep the score up though. (8/10)

Caseback: I like casebacks that add to the styling of the watch and this one doesn’t disappoint. In the center, it has 5 sharks swimming around with a diver – go figure! Around the outside, it has the maker, model, depth rating, anti-magnetic rating, crystal material, the serial number, and the movement contained inside. (10/10)

[​IMG]

Lume: I’ve alluded to it several times already, but the lume on this watch is just amazing. I can easily see how divers will love this watch. My other dive watches have lumed dials, but nothing like this. The markers are big, the lume is thickly applied and the bezel glows brightly too, not just a pearl on the bezel. (10/10)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Packaging: Nothing fancy here, but then again it’s in line with the tool watch theme. It comes with a vinyl zippered travel case that will hold 3 watches and 5 extra straps. It also comes with a strap changing tool and the warranty card. (7/10)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summary: When you consider all the features, the materials of construction, the styling, and the $899 price tag, this watch is a real winner in my opinion! :thumbsup:
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Fantastic review, Roger! :worship: :goodpost:

Thanks for sharing! :cheers:
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks Bo. It gave me somehting to do while I've been home sick. I set things up and then took shots as I felt like it. The write-up was just more couch time! I can't sit still even while I'm sick! :crazy:
  4. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    Nice review Roger. Your pictures seem to get better everytime you post. I love the Blue dial and that lume is out of this world. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup:
  5. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Nice review. I look forward to when they release a chronograph. A nice feature is the lug width is the same as my Panerai.
  6. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Great review, Roger! I enjoyed it immensely! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  7. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    :thankyou: Being sick at home, I had all the time I needed this weekend to do it slowly but surely. The good news is, I have an appetite again tonight the fever has broken and most of the head/body aches are gone! :thumbsup:
  8. 4um3r

4um3r

Premium Member
    Great review Roger. Just love the dial and the caseback.

Take care and get well soon.
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Excellent review of this watch, Roger! Never really seen these before but they seem to make a top quality, well designed product. Really like what they did with the packaging there :thumbsup:
  10. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks Roz. I had fun putting it together and taking the shots. It took my mind off of being sick. Felt good enough to have a glass of wine with dinner. Going to work from home Monday and try to make sure I am fully recovered.

Thanks Rommel..I agree. It's a great watch and a great value! :thumbsup:
  11. Erwin

Erwin

Silver Member
    Great review!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    I really like the fact that it's made of Titanium! An ultimate tool/diving watch and the lume of that watch....very impressive!:thumbsup:
    Thanks for sharing, Roger!
  12. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Brilliant review, Roger :goodpost:

Thanks for taking the time to do all this, awesome Mate :yourock:

Get well soon, Buddy :toast:
  13. Marrk

Marrk

Silver Member
    Great write-up! Really enjoyed it.
  14. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Superb write up my friend.:goodpost:
    Makes me want to go out buy one!

Whichever way you look at it these watches are great value for money.:thumbsup:
  15. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks again everyone. Once I saw the value and materials of construction, I found myself going back to the Helson webpage on a regular basis and one day as I was thinking more seriously about the purchase I e-mailed the owner (Peter Helson) with some questions. He was out of the office on travel, but got right back to me with the answers to my questions. A few more e-mails and not only was I impressed enough with the watch to make the purchase, I was impressed with Peter. I had read good things about Helson's customer service and when the owner himself answers the website inquiries, it's no wonder they get rated highly for it. :thumbsup:
  16. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Well written, great pictures and very cool watch! Thanks for posting!
  17. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    That was an excellent review Roger. :goodpost:

I really like the look of the dial and the lume is great. I can see why you are so happy with this purchase.

John
  18. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Brilliant review Roger, thanks! Great pictures, and comprehensive write-up. I like the watch a lot, too. Enjoy and get well soon.
  19. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Thanks guys! I'm almost back to full health now. I invited Peter Helson join us here at TKF, but he said right now he is so busy he just doesn't have time. He did take me up on the offer to use any of the photos he wanted for his website - 3 from the review are now in the Customer Photos section of his site! :thumbsup:
  20. kingkong21

kingkong21

Silver Member
    a cool review for a cool watch ! :D