Review of the Rolex GMT-Master 16750

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by colemanitis, Jun 26, 2008.

1. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I no longer own this watch, but wanted to post this review for others to enjoy!

I received this preowned Rolex watch (GMT-Master 16750) on June 1, 2006. This is my first Rolex timepiece. It was purchased from Cayce at http://www.preownedrolex.com.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

WOW! What else can I say. This particular watch had been freshly serviced by a Rolex Service Center (RSC) before I received it. It came complete with the original box, COSC tag, GMT booklet, and of course the 1yr Rolex warranty/service receipt. While at the RSC the watch received a new dial, hands, bezel insert, crown, oyster bracelet, acrylic crystal, and a good polish job to the original case. I felt as though I just received a brand new watch even though it's over 20 years old (circa approx 1983).

[​IMG]

THE DIAL

The black Luminova dial is beautiful and easy to read. Each hour marker is outlined in 18k white gold, which is highly reflective and adds depth to the dial by giving the markers a raised appearance. The dial also reads 'Superlative Chronometer, Officially Certified'. This identifies that the movement in this watch was tested and approved as a certified chronometer by the Controle Officiel Suisse des Chronometres (COSC). This assures the buyer that the watch is accurate to -4/+6 seconds/day. My GMT has been extremely accurate. I've owned this watch for 29 days and according to http://www.time.gov it's only gained 13 seconds! This is less than 1/2 second per day. I'm extremely pleased with these results. The four hands (hour, minutes, seconds, 24hr) are also outlined in 18k white gold and are easy to see against the black dial. The hands, as well as the hour markers have a decent lume (glow) making time reading in the dark possible. Rolex isn't known for having the best lume, but it's decent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE DATE

As with many Rolex watches, the GMT-Master has a date feature, therefore the dial reads 'Oyster Perpetual Date' just beneath the Rolex logo. Having the date on the dial is an invaluable tool for me, as I never seem to know what day it is. The date is magnified by the acrylic cyclopse by 21/2X. The 16750 also has the quick-set feature, which enables you to set the date without having to adjust the minutes and hour hands.

Modern GMTs don't have a true quick-set like the 16750 has!

[​IMG]

THE CRYSTAL

The GMT-Master 16750 was outfitted with an acrylic crystal. Compared to sapphire, acrylic scratches much easier. I use a polishing cloth to regularly clean the acrylic of smudges and fingerprints - this has worked quite well. I wouldn't recommend using any other materials to clean the acrylic (eg: t-shirt, papertowel, washcloth, etc.) as these will leave fine scratches behind. I also love the raised/thick appearance of the vintage acrylic... they don't come like this anymore!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE 24 HOUR BEZEL

You're probably already aware that the GMT 16750 is capable of displaying two different time zones. The 24hr bezel is easy to read and understand. It rotates both in the CW and CCW direction. The 16750 bezel doesn't have a click-spring like modern GMTs. It smoothly rotates instead of clicking as it's being rotated. One feature I really enjoy about the GMT bezel is the ability to 'swap' bezel inserts. Within 15 minutes you can go from a black GMT to a Pepsi (red/blue) GMT! The 16750 didn't come with a red/black option - this color combo hadn't been release yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE CROWN

As stated in many other GMT reviews, the crown is simply too small. Unless you have small hands unscrewing the crown is a bit inconvenient. Also, the surrounding crown-guards don't make the task any easier. It's certianly not a deal breaker, but it is worth mentioning.

[​IMG]

THE BRACELET

My GMT 16750 came with the stainless steel (SS) Oyster bracelet, which is my personal favorite. It's flexible, comfortable, and very attractive. The clasp is easy to operate and feels solid/strong. It's nice not having to worry about my 'baby' falling off of my wrist. The original Rolex bracelet can be easily removed (yes, there are advantages to having open lugs) and swaped with other bands or straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WATER RESISTANCE

The GMT 16750 is capable of diving to 100 meters/330 feet. Since I live on the Florida coast, it's a must to have a water proof watch. My GMT frequents swimming pools, lakes, and will be used occasionally for snorkeling and other ocean related play. There's not many places I'm not willing to take this watch.

[​IMG]

FINAL COMMENTS

Go buy this watch righ now! Seriously, this is a great timepiece - a Rolex classic. I've been very pleased with this watch over the past month and I plan on wearing this watch for many years to come. I never thought owning a watch could be so rewarding - IT CAN!
  2. mike

mike

Bronze Member
    Re: REVIEW: GMT-Master 16750

Excellent review Jeff. :thumbsup: The 16750 is my "go to" vintage GMT. The fast beat movement together with the quick-set date and wonderful thin case make it a great travel/everyday piece.

The warmth of acryllic just can't be beat. :cheers:
  3. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member

Very thorough and educational review, Jeff! :cool:

Thanks for sharing!
  4. Ed Rooney

Ed Rooney

TKF Newbie

One of the guys in my office has what I believe to be a 16750, in pepsi. Beautiful.
  5. Chaos

Chaos

Bronze Member

Very nice review Jeff! :thumbsup:
  6. Beef

Beef

Bronze Member

Great review, Jeff. Damned if I can understand why you don't still own it. Oh, I remember, that bout of temporary insanity that had you wearing Panerais or something. Well the shock treatment worked and your back on track. :rofl: :rofl:
  7. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member

Exactly! :lol: :lol: :cheers: :cheers:
  8. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member

Very well done and the pictures look great :cheers:
  9. kennywingnut

kennywingnut

TKF Newbie

AWESOME WATCH!!
    thanks for a GREAT REVIEW!!!
    I wonder how much they are worth these days?
    regards
  10. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member

A lot :laugh:

I am truly not too sure off the top of my head but one of the guys here can tell you :cheers:
  11. stevemulholland3

stevemulholland3

TKF Newbie

I have seen these watches go from 4k to 6k and up depending on dial style and condition.
  12. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member

Great review, great watch!
  13. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member

Nice Steve :thumbsup: When ever the time comes for me buy similar stuff i'll keep you in mind :cheers: :thumbsup:
  14. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member

Jeff,

Great review of an awesome watch.

John
  15. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member

Jeff:

Great review. Well written and accurate. I very much agree with you in the pro and cons of what I think is a great watch.
    :thankyou:
  16. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member

Thanks for all the kind words! :cheers:
  17. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member

Jeff,

I just revisited this excellent review, and I must say although I am not planning any new watch purchases....the 16750 would have to be close to or the top of my list!

All its attributes make it a great vintage every day wearer. :thumbsup:
  18. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member

Thanks very much for bumping this back to the top Clyde, it was submitted before I joined so would have missed it otherwise.

Jeff, truly stunning review, enjoyed it immensely, would love to own one at some stage, thank you very much for sharing it with us. :thumbsup:
  19. bendtsen

bendtsen

TKF Newbie
    Cool review of a very streamlined watch..! Goes perfect with both suit and casual, in my opinion.. It is both classy and very low-key at the same time, love it!
  20. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene

TKF Newbie
    GMT Master Review is the only thing that you can work on with superior papers. It's because there is nothing wrong in that and people have been working on it. Please tell me what is going on here.