Rolex GMT-Master 1675 Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by colemanitis, Jun 15, 2011.

1. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Rolex GMT-Master 1675 Review

Most of you saw the pics of my "new" GMT-Master 1675, but I didn't post any particular details about the watch, so I thought I'd do that here. :cheers:

This watch came with no accessories, other than the service box and the service warranty/guarantee from a RSC.

[​IMG]

CASE: This GMT has a 2.9 mil serial number, which dates it back to 1971. The caseback is also stamped "71 III." The case has been polished, but does shows some imperfections that have accumulated since its last service, 1 1/2 years ago. The lugs are thick and even.

DIAL: From my limited vintage knowledge, it's sporting a later Mark VI dial, as clearly identified by its more modern shaped coronet. The dial has tritium markers that no longer glow. The tritium markers are fairly white w/ very little patina to them.

[​IMG]

HANDS: All of the hands, except for the 24 hour "GMT" hand, are luminova replacements. The GMT hand is tritium.

BEZEL: The bezel and insert appear to have been replaced during the last service. The insert is in mint condition. The bezel only has a few small dings along the outer rim from normal use.

BRACELET: The 78360 bracelet is a service replacement, as designated by the "S" on the clasp. Proceeding the "S" is the code "U 12." The bracelet is in "like new" condition with very little stretch. It has 580 endlinks.

[​IMG]

MOVEMENT: The case houses an extremely clean and new looking Rolex 1570 (non quick-set) movement. After the first day of owning this watch it has only lost 2 seconds! :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

CRYSTAL: The crystal is in nearly new condition. It only has a few very fine scratches, not large enough to warrant the use of polywatch.

[​IMG]

I hope that everyone enjoys this mini review. :cheers:
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great review and pics, Jeff! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Many thanks, Bo! :cheers:
  4. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Great review and lovely photos, Jeff, thanks! It sure is clean and looks new.
  5. africanono

africanono

TKF Newbie
    Nice review and very great watch! Awesome look for a 40 years old watch :thumbsup:
  6. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Brilliant review with detailed pics, Good one Jeff :goodpost::thumbsup:
  7. number6

number6

Bronze Member
    I enjoyed your review . Thanks . Lovely watch.
  8. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    An excellent review! The pics are wonderful as well, they show off its pristine condition quite well. The movement looks new!
  9. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Such a shame the AD's no longer stock them!.

Nice review mate and superb pics. That watch really glows.
  10. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Looks great Jeff and I like the review. :thumbsup:

One thing, tell me the movement photo is from the seller and that you did not open your own caseback again because I don't want to have to organize an "intervention"! :banghead:
  11. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    same thought crossed my mind - some folks just never learn...
  12. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    I wouldn't have opened it, but I gave it a firm twist with my fingers and it opened right up. I cleaned the case, inspected the caseback stamp, snapped a few pics, then sealer her back up. No blood, no foul. :thumbsup:
  13. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Opening the case isn't a problem... I run into problems when I decide to disassemble a movement. That won't be happening again. :dummy: :lol: :lol:
  14. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    I know, I was kidding. Had the backs of a few myself. No fiddling, though, just looking.

Although... once, in the 90s, I remember the strap broke on my 1942 Heuer chrono at work. I was standing at the time, and it fell to the floor.
    The case-back popped off and at least one coggy bit fell out. I picked it up, found a space where it looked like it might have come from and sort of stuffed it back in. I saw the part engage with some other bits and start turning, so I just snapped the back on again.
    It's worked perfectly since.

:dummy: :nono: :ban: :mixed: :loupe: :doh:

Attached Files:

15. jamesbondOO7

jamesbondOO7

TKF Newbie
    Love that watch.
  16. HDHNTER

HDHNTER

Premium Member
    Great review and GMT, enjoyed the read.
  17. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Looking good, Jeff. Great review and pics.

And by the way, my '68 1570 movement-GMT ref 1675 is running neck in neck with my 2008 Sub 16610 in the accuracy department...they are wonderful movements/watches! :thumbsup:
  18. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Actually, it sounds like it's good you checked if it was that loose! :thumbsup:
  19. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    That's a whole other thread right there.

You did WHAT!!? :yikes:

If Archer see's this he'll have a cow. " the coggy bit" Priceless!:lol::lol:
  20. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    It's all true, I swear. I had an audience at the time, and I was a bit embarrassed that it had happened, and it kind of combined with and over-shadowed my anxiety for the watch, so I picked up the part and located its likely home. 'Stuffed' was artistic licence - I carefully placed it back in! But, in all honesty, I didn'y really know what I was doing. Glad you found it amusing anyway!

PS Sorry Al, if you ever see this.
    PPS I think the offending part was the one pictured to the right on the pic of the movement, above. It would be behind the 9 o'clock position...