Rolex Seadweller Deepsea Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by 100thmonkey, Feb 19, 2011.

1. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey

TKF Newbie
    THE BOX

Slightly bigger than the standard

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

but fairly standard in terms of bit & bobs including warranty card, booklet, hangtags, & guarantee

[​IMG]

THE CASE

Its big! But its not Big! Yes it is bigger than you are used to and because you compare it to the previous it is bigger but it wears no bigger than most Panerai standard cases. The lugs are bigger again than the old classic SD obviously and measure 21mm so a 22mm NATO would be the best option rather than a 20mm with a gap. A titanium caseback held in pace with a Stainless Steel ring and including the crystal it measures 17mm thick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I find that the case back is flatter than the Seadweller and as a result it sits better on the wrist. A big fat Rolex Crown sits proportionally well between the protectors. One thing that is nice is that the titanium rear has a brushed finish and when leaving the watch on the side and the bracelet rubbing on the rear of the watch it has picked up no scratches, all my other Rolex have got scratches on the rear inside a week which progressively get worse. I used to leave the sticker on to try and prevent this but now there is no need. Finally the case is finished with a Stainless Steel helium escape valve rather than titanium as found on the Seadweller.

THE DIAL AND CRYSTAL.

Perfection personified, smooth matte just like the 1680 & 1665 Seadwellers of the past with a slight grain to it which stops light reflecting on off it which I dislike on the glossy dials. Then theres that dreamy blue lume that glows all night long.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now when I looked at the original pictures and all the pictures I have taken it appears that the ‘Original Gas Escape Valve’ & ‘Ring Lock System’ are written in letters 10ft high and flashing. The reality is that when you own and wear the watch you genuinely do not notice the wording unless you look for it. But when you do look you see a true tool watch, that domed crystal, a throw back to the 1962 original Seadwellers is 5.5mm thick and looks like it could take a sledgehammer but doesn’t distort the dial or reading of it, the curvature is subtle but amazing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE BEZEL

Ive had a ceramic dial for 3 years so I am used to the new style and have been very happy with it, they are bombproof and near impossible to damage, it is neither too glossy or too matte but its when you turn it that you truly appreciate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The GMTIIC is nice but it has 24 thick clicks whereas the Deepsea has 120 precision clicks and it is so solid that it literally buzzes as you turn it, no tinny sound just silk smooth precision rotation. Then it has iced its cake with a well placed ‘pip’ at 12 O’Clock.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE BRACELET

Starting from 21mm between the lugs and tapering to 17mm at the clasp the bracelet is solid and brushed, it makes the previous bracelets feel very tinny and cheap but it is the clasp and glidelock that are a work of art, having that reassuring snap and lock coupled with the ability to change the bracelet in mm increments in seconds is just brilliant. The watch originally had a divers clasp but I made the decision that I wouldn’t require it and if I did wear it over a wetsuit I could get enough from the glidelock. Without the divers clasp I found it was a nicer more appropriate fit for my wrist. I have added an article in the mods & wreckers section on removal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rolex need this clasp on every model from here on in as it just blows away every other previous version in terms of comfort and functionality coupled with quality and build.

SUMMING UP.

5.5mm thick domed crystal.
    Matte maxi dial and bigger hands.
    Blue lume.
    43mm case.
    Glidelock bracelet.
    3900m – 12800ft………How Deep!!!!

50 years we have waited for engineering, materials, and a market ready to accept this but the wait is over and its been worth it. Rolex have maintained many of the historic characteristics of the early Seadwellers, the domed crystal, Matte Dial, etc and delivered a watch which is undeniably larger than what has gone before, but is it too large? Owning one will tell a different story, it’s perfectly wearable. Infact the Deepsea has done really well with me as like many I was convinced it was too big by the million threads saying it was but the reality is that 99% of those comments are from either non owners or those that have tried one on in an AD’s and made a snap judgement that its too big!! If you have a sub 6.75" Wrist then perhaps this isnt the best choice but dont be brainwashed by the 'too big' line. I know I nearly did and I wouldn't have realized just how good it could be.

Its early days but Id be very surprised if you see this one up for sale!
  2. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Wow, what a fantastic introductory post, thank you very much for your review, wear your new watch in the very best of health, A very warm welcome to TKF, really hope you enjoy yourself here, really looking forward to reading further posts from you :thumbsup:

Do I recognise your user name from TZ-UK?
  3. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Nice review of my favorite modern Rolex. Glad you like the DRSD, it's one beauty of a watch.

Sent from my Droid
  4. deadeye

deadeye

Silver Member
    That's a great first post and review. Welcome!
  5. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey

TKF Newbie
    Yes I use tz Uk also and turf. My passion is watches, fitness, and recently car audio!!
  6. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Excellent review! :worship: Welcome to TKF! :cheers:
  7. DeepSea12800

DeepSea12800

Premium Member
    Wow Great review and I agree with you 110%!!!
  8. BossHog

BossHog

Silver Member
    Incredible review....
  9. WatchFan

WatchFan

Bronze Member
    Great review. Tried a deepsea on at an AD on Thursday. Very impressive a bombproof tank of a watch!
  10. santandk

santandk

TKF Newbie
    Fantastic review. I read your review before taking the plunge and got DSSD 5 days ago. Very happy with the purchase. You're right about it being BIG, but not BIG. It's bigger than my Sub C, but compared to Panerais that I was also looking at, it's just "normal". Thanks for posting the review!
  11. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Fantastic review and excellent pictures! :goodpost: :thumbsup:

I would agree with you... the watch does seem to sit better on the wrist without the diver's link, so I don't have it installed on my DSSD, either.

It also seems that you have a "MK II" dial on your Deepsea... must admit that I prefer the style of coronet on your dial to the one seen on the "MK I":

Interesting News About the Deepsea Sea-Dweller Dails!
  12. leopardprey

leopardprey

Silver Member
    Great review! I really like the domed crystal on the DSSD. Now if they would just make a non-date version! LOL
  13. r-l-x

r-l-x

Bronze Member
    good review:thumbsup:
  14. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    :goodpost: I really liked that review :thumbsup: Great pictures and writeup there on this watch :cheers:
  15. 100thmonkey

100thmonkey

TKF Newbie
    Thanks for the kind comments
  16. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    An excellent review. I spotted something in your post I have not often seen: a photo of the clasp while completely extended! That is something I find particularly useful, as it is often described instead of being illustrated. Well done!
  17. fstnlgl

fstnlgl

Bronze Member
    Great Review. Agree with you 100%. Ran down to my local AD to get one but realized I already had one on my wrist!!!
  18. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Magnificent Intro and review, Welcome to TKF :yourock:
  19. scabs

scabs

Bronze Member
    great review

the review is excellent...
    a few comments of my own on the watch. I´ve owned a new GMT with ceramic bezel and had a 10 year old 14060 Sub. both 40 mm cases. I was in love with the GMT until i got it. in fact it looked great on other people´s wrists (small wrists) and in pictures but I sold it after a couple of months. I own a Panerai (44mm) and a IWC Top Gun Rattrapante (46 mm case) and since I have a medium/large wrist, these big watches look great and feel "present" on my arm.
    Everytime i put the GMT on, it looked and felt small and thin (yes, after you get used to large and thick watches, there´s no way back!). but I´ve always loved the Rolex brand, the liquidity in the market, the design..
    When I first tried the DSSD (new model) on, it looked a bi strange. being used to GMTs and SUBS, it looked like the big brother on steroids. With the GMT and old SUB money I was able to get the baby home and after a couple of days, I couldn´t get it off my wrist. I finally found the perfect match of the rolex look and feel that I love and the right size, thickness and weight. I can´t stop stearing at it and it has become immediately my main watch. It feels strong, large, solid, heavy and looks big but not huge like a Big Pilot. For people with medium or large wrists this is the day by day rolex to have. It´s not as versatile as an Explorer I or a Milgauss which can be used with suits or swimsuits, but it´s for me the ultimate sports watch. When looking for a large rolex, I flirted with the 42 mm new explorer but to me, it looked too thin and light and I didn´t like the dial and the big steel bezel. Besides, it´s still not as big as I needed. Most people don´t recognize it from a regular sub, especially if you have a large arm, so if you want to simply have a great watch and look good, don´t spend the extra money. But if you like big, robust watches and want to have something special with so many incredible features and technology....go for it and you won´t regret it!
  20. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Welcome to TKF, scabs! :cheers: