Rolex TT Sub Review

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by Six String, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    I purchased this new in April 2007 at a Jared’s’ store in Renton, WA. Jared was an Authorized Dealer at the time and I would check out their Rolex pieces whenever I was in the store. At the time of purchase, the list price was just under $8K plus tax. It was a spur of the moment decision to purchase it but I’d wanted one for years and the timing was right financially, so I went for it. I haven’t regretted it a bit.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

It is a “D” serial number. I believe at the time the “Z” number had just come out, however there is no difference in specs between the two models, according to Rolex.

[​IMG][/IMG]

And, what specs! Stainless and 18K gold oyster bracelet, 904L stainless steel case with 18K gold bezel and the beautiful blue watch face which looks great in combination with the stainless and gold appointments. Sapphire crystal. Triplock screw-down crown. There is the ubiquitous Rolex “Cyclops” magnifier over the quickset date. Lume is merely average, at best.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

The movement is Rolex’s Caliber 3135, COSC-certified, in-house movement. They are manufactured and regulated to very strict standards. But, honestly, mine runs noticeably fast and has done so since day one. My wife has the ladies TT Datejust and it keeps excellent time but I have to reset mine every week or two. I’ve never wanted to turn loose of it long enough to have it corrected. When it needs service in several more years, I presume Rolex will correct this.

Fit and finish is outstanding. At the time of purchase, and for several years afterwards, it was in a class by itself when compared with my other watches at that time. However, starting 12 months ago, I got the IWC Port Chrono, then the IWC AT 2000, Kobold SMG-1 and, tomorrow, the Omega Speedmaster BA. The Sub is no longer the undisputed winner but, arguably, none of the others surpasses it, with the possible exception of the incoming Speedmaster. We'll see.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Attention, it does get. I had to go to Tel Aviv shortly after buying it. I was a little embarrassed by the amount of attention it received. My co-workers would stare at it but wouldn’t say anything. The Israeli people we dealt with were more vocal in their admiration. I noticed one of their business managers was wearing a Rolex as well. That said, I really did not buy the watch to impress others. To me, it represented the pinnacle of fine watchmaking and I had long wanted one. I now know there are many more expensive and exclusive watches but the Sub will always be special for me.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I bought the Sub for it’s classic design aesthetic, quality, reputation and because I simply love the way it looks. I’m impressed by it. I think as fellow WIS’s, most of you understand.

[​IMG][/IMG]

I wore the Sub daily for 3 years but starting with the acquisition of my other watches last year, it’s now in regular rotation with the rest. When I do wear it, I wear it everywhere; to dinner, the grocery store, jogging, mountain biking, snorkeling, everywhere. It has never missed a beat. Aside from a few swirls on the bracelet and case, it has survived slips, falls, desk encounters, bike crashes and more without a scratch.

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

This is the watch that turned me on to other fine timepieces. Because of it, I caught the fever, so to speak. It's arguable whether that's a good thing. LOL

I list it as a declared item on our jewelry insurance so if it’s lost or stolen, I have peace of mind knowing I can replace it. And I would replace it. Common sense tells me I should just pocket the money and buy a couple of other very nice, less expensive watches and put the remaining dollars in the bank. But, I’d buy another. Because it’s a Rolex.

Thanks for reading.
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Fabulous review, Chris! :goodpost:

I just LOVE that deep blue dial! :worship:

There was one difference, namely the "RBR" (Rolex Branded Rehaut / ROLEXROLEX + serial number on the inner ring) on the Z-serials on onwards...
  3. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Brilliant Review Chris, gotta love the 16613 :love::thumbsup:
  4. Six String

Six String

Premium Member
    Thanks for the kind words.

I didn't know the rehaut engraving started with Z. If I'd known that at the time, I might have asked them to order the Z version. Oh, well.

And, note to self: give the watch a bath before taking pictures. Those close-ups prove it was a daily wear watch for several years!
  5. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    Very good review! I enjoyed reading it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  6. SSD

SSD

Premium Member
    A great review! It is good to see the watch being enjoyed as well as looking good, I have no doubt it will serve just as well for years and years to come.
  7. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    That one has grown on me over the years. I still don't think I would own a TT personally because I don't wear gold, but I do think that color combination is gorgeous! :love:
  8. G.J.

G.J.

Silver Member
    Excellent review, I enjoyed it..
  9. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Nice review of a beauty, thanks!