Sinn U1

Discussion in 'Other Watch Brands' started by Pete17, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Hi lads, I have always liked the look and construction of the U1.
    I am seriously considering picking one up at my AD next week. Only dealer in town and the price is 2k.

Has anyone had some personal experience with the U1 model? I have heard of dramas with the oil filled UX and Argon filled U2 models but the U1 seems to be a solid dependable diver.

Any issues with the U1 I should be aware of?

Sent from my Droid
  2. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Sounds like a tough watch, Mate:thumbsup:

Haven't had much to do with them, but german workmanship has to be good:thumbsup:

In case You haven't read this, here is a link I found about the U1.:cheers:

http://watchesandreviews.com/Sinn.html
  3. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Thanks for that link mate. Hadn't seen that site before. Surprised that they wanted a better lume on the U1. I thought it looked pretty good in the pics I've seen.
    I'm hoping that we find the AD in town has the fully tegimented case and not just the tegimented bezel models.
    Their clean dials and tegimented submarine steel has always appealed to me.

Sent from my Droid
  4. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    And I tought we go to the Rolex AD to pick up the Black dial EXP II :lol::lol:
  5. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Nah, there are a few no date subs in town for sale though ........

Sent from my Droid
  6. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I have heard nothing but good comments about Sinn, the 657 I had was a great, no frills watch. :thumbsup:
  7. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    looks great to me - I've liked the design for a while now
  8. Krabong

Krabong

Bronze Member
    Hi Pete,

Go for it, Sinn watches are great and their after service (in Europe) is very good. Sometimes you have to be patience but they always do it right.

I'm a mechanical watch lover but my quartz UX is a very cool watch imho; A great strong case, cool dial & hands, nice size and perfect bracelet. For me it's a lot of watch for the money;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't like the rubber straps, because for me it's way to thick. But... Toshi straps has a great alternative;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With regards, Roel
  9. rockmastermike

rockmastermike

Bronze Member
    I have owned the U1 and it is rock solid over engineered bad ass watch. it wears smaller than it's size and is very comfortable as a daily wearer if you so choose. Mine was worn with the OEM Rubber (legendary) along with leather and Zulu's so I can't speak to the bracelet, but had heard good things about it. winding and screw down crown are smooth to operate and inspire confidence. German sub-steel is just cool to me and even the regular (un-tegimented) case is super durable and can will absolutely survive the apocalypse. Uber legible really helps my eyes.

now.....just a couple of minor demerits. the bezel clicks are a little plasticky if that makes sense. the bezel is sub steel of course but just a little weak "sounding". no big deal to me and and I really never used the bezel anyway. the only other bit was the outer AR coating. it seemed to show wear very easily. There are many AR coatings and many ways to apply the coatings and some are more wear resistant. Sinn may have changed their AR recently and it may be a non-factor these days.
    I have read many U1 owners simply remove the coating and problem solved.

I have heard other owners complain about the small date window, but for me, that was not even a thought as the date was perfect for me and my bad eyes.

I would have been less of a person had I not owned one :love:
  10. Archer

Archer

Silver Member
    I've serviced a few Sinn watches, including the U1. I am a fan of Sinn, and both my wife and I own one each (she has a 456 and I have the 356 Flieger II).

In the U1 you get a 1000 m rated dive watch with probably the thinnest case out there that has that rating. I was quite surprised how thin the case was compared to other 1000 m rated watches I've serviced, like Stowa divers and Kobold Seals, etc.

The movement is a tried and true ETA 2824-2, and virtually any competent watchmaker can service it for you. Sinn will supply parts to inderpendent watchmakers, so they are a good company in my books. Here are some photos of the one I serviced last year.

The watch:

[​IMG]

ETA 2824-2 with signed oscillating weight:

[​IMG]

Typical finish:

[​IMG]

Disassembled:

[​IMG]

After service, and my tweaking, the rate results were better than a lot of Rolex watches I've seen (might be inflammatory to some, but it's true!):

[​IMG]

Empty case was tested first to full rating +15%, so here the pressure is equivalent to 1650 pounds per square inch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passed fine, and on the final test winder:

[​IMG]

Of course pressure checks were done again after the final timing was confirmed:

[​IMG]

Overall, they are solid watches with good value for your money in my view.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al
  11. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I never were a fan of those "LEGO" hands but to each his own...

I've read a couple of reports about SINN on a German watch forum where it was mentioned that the lume on the U1 tends to be "spotty" (not evenly applied with shows up best in the dark)...

In terms of accuracy, most of the reports I've read state that the watch runs well within COSC specs.
  12. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Lego - excellent! I like it coz it's different.
  13. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    Looks like you are getting some great feedback Pete. You just might need to go ahead and make the purchase.

Great pictures everyone!!

John
  14. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    I love the styling and agree on the fully tegmented cases - looks great and supposedly stand up to wear well. :thumbsup:
  15. Krabong

Krabong

Bronze Member
    Lego hands... :lol:

A friend had a U1 and sold it... because of the hands.

Here together with my ex Stowa;

[​IMG]

With regards, Roel
  16. rockmastermike

rockmastermike

Bronze Member
    I remember the Lego hands being "different" but not being so much of a distraction actually on the wrist.....at least not as much as the pictures make it out to be. True, they are different and not for everybody and I am reminded that 42mm EXPII looks funny in photos but absolutely rocks in real life. not comparing the two watches of course, just saying pictures can be deceiving vs how it looks on the wrist.

if nothing else, give it a go and if you don't like it, it would be an easy flip as there is a sort of cult following for these.

*EDIT* Roel, lovely Stowa - the more I see of these the more I like them.
  17. Vivace

Vivace

Bronze Member
    I intend to pickup a u200 somewhere down the line. I'm thrilled about the brand and their watches hold their value very well. You can't go wrong with the u1. Good luck and enjoy it in good health.
  18. Pete17

Pete17

Silver Member
    Thanks for all the replies fellas - much appreciated.:worship::worship::worship:

The lego hands look great to me - something different and unique and also very industrial looking.

I'll have a good hard look at one next week and see what happens.:thumbsup:

Cheers
  19. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    :thumbsup: That U1 has got my vote! Pretty hard to beat the simplicity and ruggedness. One that would be a lot of fun trying out different straps as well. I really wish there was an AD here, so I could really take a good look at one.
    Cheers :cheers:
    Carl

almost forgot: excellent YouTube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGf-NcExp7A
    Very interesting how to remove/add links with an Allen key, which is of course included. Love the sandblasted finish, which is on the entire watch and bracelet.
  20. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Yeah, I know it sounds funny... that is always what comes to my mind when I see those hands, though.

I've read somewhere that the hands where designed to resemble a submarine seen from the front with the periscope up... pretty :coolanimated: actually when you think about it.