Stowa Airman COSC

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by daveathall, Aug 24, 2008.

1. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Thought I would post some photos of my Stowa Airman COSC, had this a couple of months now, quite a thin watch but wears larger than the 40mm face suggests, can be purchased with several options, sterile dial with no date, name but no date or name with date, can also be had with or without the COSC certification for the ETA 2824-2 movement, different levels of decoration can also be stipulated for the movement, comes as standard with a very comfortable and supple strap.

I originally bought this as a present but it arrived to late for the birthday (My fault, I did not give Stowa enough time to build the watch, the did try though and were very accomadating) so I was left with a present that had no home to go too, felt sorry for it so introduced it to the rest of my collection, where it is very happy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you like it.
  2. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Re: irman COSC

Not bad at all! That is awesome, I espectially like the 2nd and 3rd pictures of the movement! :mixed: :yahoo: :cheers:
  3. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Great looking watch, Dave.

I love the Stowas and Jorg Schauer's stuff. I really like classic pilot style watches very much.

I'd say that one is a keeper. :thumbsup:
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Yes, certainly is a keeper, I do like pilots watches, clean uncluttered face, would love to see Rolex make one.
  5. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    :cool:

John
  6. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I really like that Stowa! :coolanimated: :thumbsup:

Does the lume last long?
  7. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    I am curious as well. Either way, this is the ideal watch for a collection as it is unique, adds such good variety :D
  8. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I would say a good 4 to 5 hours Bo, I did charge it for a good couple of hours though,
  9. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Not too bad at all :D
  10. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    I dont think it is in the same league as the Seamaster or the PO though Rommel
  11. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Yeah it all depends I guess. Each is great for different reasons :)
  12. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    That's quite decent! :thumbsup:

What I also noticed is that you don't have these "dark spots" in the lume like you see on so many watches -- including Rolex -- that are caused by uneven lume coating. :coolanimated:
  13. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Yeah I know, Stowa really did an outstanding job on this watch :rocker:
  14. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Another question... is the crystal domed or flat?
  15. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Its flat Bo.
  16. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Thanks, Dave!

Meanwhile, I emailed Stowa with some questions. As you stated, they reply very quickly. I intend to get a Flieger (without Logo) as soon as I have the funds after having bought the DSSD.

I believe Stowa has updated their Flieger models a bit... They now come with a bigger, old-style knurled crown, and it seems the crystal over the face is domed now. See stowa.de

Here is the reply from Stowa (I wrote them in German, but I have translated it for you):

-----------------------------------

"Vielen Dank für Ihre e-mail. (thanks for your email)

zu 1) alle 12 Zahlen, das Leuchtdreieck und die 5-Minuten-Striche sind mit Leuchtmasse belegt, was bei Dunkelheit zu guter Ablesbarkeit führt (all 12 numbers, the triangle and the 5-minute markers have luminous coating which contributes to high legibility at night).

zu 2) wir verwenden beidseitig Saphirglas, oben gewölbt, unten flach, jedoch innen nicht enspiegelt. (we use double sapphire crystals. Domed on top, flat on the bottom (caseback), however not AR coated on the inside).

zu 3) ja, können Sie gerne, wir haben Kautschukbänder in 20 mm (Aufpreis EUR 9,--). (yes, you can buy a rubber strap in 20 mm. - add a cost of 9 Euros).

zu 4) ja, wasserdicht bis 5 ATM (yes, they're WR to 5 ATM.).

zu 5) nein, Anfangs sind die Uhren mit ca. +10sec/Tag Vorgang reguliert, da das Öl im Werk mit der Zeit verhärtet, und die Uhr dann automatisch langsamer geht, d.h. irgendwann geht sie nicht mehr vor, dann geht sie nach." (No, initially we adjust the watches to run approx. + 10 seconds fast a day becauce the oils in the movement congeale with time, making the watch going slower, meaning that at some point the watch will then not run fast anymore but slow.)

----------------------------

I guess you can figure out what my questions were from the replies given.
  17. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Hi Bo, customer service from Stowa is excellent, a real credit to them, If the crystal is domed it is very slight, I have just held it at right angles to a light and twisted it back and forth to catch the reflection and can confirm that it is very slightly domed domed, the movement that I went for was the ETA 2824-2 with the optional extra of the COSC, straight from the box it was running well within the certificates guide lines, I would highly recommend this watch. :thumbsup:
  18. Toph

Toph

Silver Member
    lovely watch Dave-
    Bo thanks for that info too.
    :cheers:
  19. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    I might opt for the extra charge of Euros 210 for the COSC version..

But then again, being an ETA movt., any watchmaker should be able to adjust the non COSC version to run within COSC specs....

At any standard, I would not tolerate a deviance of +10.
  20. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Just got a reply to an email that I sent to Stowa..

I was told that they regulate ALL their movts. -- including the COSC tested ones -- to run from + 2 to + 10 (TEN!) seconds a day. Since the official COSC standard is minus 4 to plus 6 secs./day, actually you can risk getting a Stowa watch that runs out of COSC specs. :banghead:

They told me that they could not promise any better accuracy.

I don't get it. It's like they receive movts. from COSC that have passed the tests and then kinda mess them up afterwards by "regulating them themselves" to run with results that are OFF COSC specs (if the watch runs from + 6 to + 10 secs. fast that is). :banghead: :banghead: