Stowa Seatime w/ Blue Dial - Initial Thoughts

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by rockmastermike, Aug 26, 2012.

1. rockmastermike

rockmastermike

Bronze Member
    right, so it's been two weeks now with the blue dial Seatime so how about let's walk around it and kick the tires.

The kit is standard Stowa aluminum (?) lock box with black carry bag, product info card and a plastic baggy for extra links and such.
    The cool, and unexpected, extra bit was a booklet containing about a dozen or so Retro Stowa Postcards. each one has a little history on the back and makes my inner geek smile.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the stainless steel case is sandblasted and has matte look to it. not that I am bling-phobic, but the finish looks cool. It makes a statement at first glance that this is not a watch to trifle with it is strong and capable.

[​IMG]

the case itself is 42mm wide and 13.5mm in height, combine that with a 7.5 wrist and it's very pleasing to look down at to get the time (or just to look at it, as we often do) You don't get the sense it is neither too big or too small, it's goldilocks. Dimensions aside, how does it wear? well, that is a very subjective question...I have 7.5 in wrist and pretty much flat on top so it sits flat - the lug to lug is 50.30mm and again, for me, hits right where I want it to on my wrist.

[​IMG]

The lugs don't bend down, they are sharply angled down pursuant with strong German design philosophy, but in the end, they do angle down to help the fit and or natural curve of the wrist. note the stark change in lighting at the break point of the angle:

[​IMG]

here's another look at the how the lugs profile from the side, plus it's a segue into the conversation about the crown. The crown is nicely signed/engraved with the Stowa icon and has bold ridges to grip with.

[​IMG]

The unscrewed crown shows strong threads and the thick gasket. This is good spot to mention the Saetime is rated to 30ATM, or for those, like me, who don't have the conversion table memorized, that comes out to about 300 meters or about 990 feet. No matter how you slice it, it's good enough for me

[​IMG]

The Bezel is also sandbalsted to match the case and goes about her business in 60 clicks and while I am 100% sure about it's reliability, it does have somewhat muted clicks, reminds me very much of my old SInn U1 bezel. The lip of the bezel sits well above the crystal and angles in toward the crystal - another way of incorporating angles into the watch design and pretty cool to see in real life. The grip on the bezel is incredible, very crisp cuts and sharp.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Seatime has a sapphire crystal on the case back that shows the ETA 2824-2 movement. Rhodium coated, blued screws and Stowa engraved on the rotor. the reserve is stated at 40 hours although I have not tested that as of yet. The timing out of the box was -4 but after wearing consistently I have timed it at -2 seconds as of this week. That works for me all day and twice on Sunday

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Flip it over and we get to the sapphire crystal on top over the Blue dial. Out of the box the blue color is muted to match the vibe of the case, but not dull. It's really hard to describe as it changes shades and hues at different angles and different lighting. Pretty damn cool, if you ask me. Not as grabbing as say the Omega Electric blue or the UTS Blue - both are gorgeous in their own right, but the Stowa is, too, just in a more sublte way.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The dial is painted and has Superluminova C3 on the numbers, hash marks and all three hands, in fact the second hand is full lume, not just the tip - very nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall I am very happy with this purchase - these don't come up very often and now I understand why. the Stowa Seatime does the little things that add up to a great watch.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. cw2

cw2

Silver Member
    Cool watch...:rocker::rocker:.....Great review..:thumbsup:
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    There is a lot to like about that Stowa! The angular case is really unique, the exhibition caseback is always a plus IMHO, and I see what you are saying about the blue dial changing color based on the angles. Great watch and review. :drinks:
  4. pawnshopkiller

pawnshopkiller

Premium Member
    I like it.
  5. drhr

drhr

Bronze Member
    Beautiful, and looks great on your wrist! I love the color blue so def another plus to my eyes. Congrats on an awesome Stowa timepiece!
  6. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I like it a lot.
  7. rockmastermike

rockmastermike

Bronze Member
    thanks, guys.....and it comes with a bonus - mrs rockmastermike even likes it. (my others are boring, lol)
  8. nismo1

nismo1

Bronze Member
    nice seatime and great review.I have a number of them.My blue one has the blue bezel.
    [​IMG]
  9. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    Great review-- superb photos--and a cool watch. :thumbsup: I really like the greenish grey strap also. :)
  10. Vincent65

Vincent65

Silver Member
    Excellent review and pics, and a cool watch!
  11. Kiwi

Kiwi

Premium Member
    Thanks for such a great review and pictures:goodpost:

Certainly is a good solid watch with a great design, especially like the lugs.:thumbsup:

Congrats to Your new addition, looks awesome on Ya and sounds like there might be more coming.:cheers:
  12. marcus f

marcus f

Premium Member
    Great review, great looking watch. Some great pics as well & 1 thing you can rely on is German engineering :thumbsup:
  13. KatGirl

KatGirl

Premium Member
    Looks awesome on the tan leather.. I'm with your wife. VERY cool. I like it, a lot, but it would probably wear too big on me...:banghead:
  14. Korean Cowboy

Korean Cowboy

Nice looking watch! I do love the matte look to it, in contrast to a more polished finish that so many other watchmakers do...I would like to see this finish, and/or a brushed finish on more watches. They matched the finish of the blue dial nicely, and it seems to tie everything together.