Tutima: Flieger Chronograph 1941

Discussion in 'Other Watch Brands' started by Carl, May 26, 2010.

1. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    For the past year or so, I have become quite interested in the German watchmaker, Tutima. Yes, I really do believe there are great watchmakers other than the Swiss, even though my Rolex Explorer is my favourite watch so far, and likely will remain so.
    I stopped in at Timeco, at our local downtown mall, with my friend Ian (Shandy). I wanted to show him the Tutima models, as he was a bit less familiar with them than I am. This is one of the very few shops I know that carry the brand, and the only one in the Vancouver area.

Tutima Classic Flieger Chronograph 1941
    [​IMG]
    The Classic Flieger Chronograph 1941, being the only Tutima model that has a manual wind, is the one that interests me most. I also like a watch with history, and this does not disappoint. Fortunately, the young chap that took care of us was absolutely full of information about the watch, including the movement, history and manufacturing. Unfortunately, my memory is so bad, I have to rely a little on the beautiful little catalogue I received. This watch is a beautiful and accurate replica of the one given to airmen during the Second World War. Here is a link to the Tutima website, which gives a much better idea of the history: http://tutima.com/en/classic.php?osCsid=7f5aa17844b66fe89d5ed7a3c19906a6
    I am very impressed with the finish of this watch. The brushed stainless is flawless over the entire case, including sides, back and lugs. The coin bezel is polished. There is a beautiful thick leather water resistant strap, as good quality as I have seen, and it suits the watch beautifully.
    The movement is a modified Valjoux 7750, modified to a self wind, the 7760. The original movement UROFA 59, and very few traces are left, so a replacement was found. The 30-minute counter on the Valjoux 7750 is located at 12 o'clock, and Tutima has modified the movement so the counter is now at the 3 o'cock position. Other modifications were made, such as the finish on the movement, one of them being the addition of Geneva Stripes. I could go on, but I would be cheating, as I would have to copy from either the web or the catalogue.
    It would be great to hear from anyone else who has had experience with this watch. It retails in Canada for $3500CAD, but I have seen it for less on grey market websites, and sales from private owners. For a chronograph, it is one of the most beautiful and simple I have seen, for me the added advantage of being manual wind. I was surprised to learn that is also a hacking movement, so the second hand can be stopped to sync the time.
    Lots of little treasures to be found on this beautiful timepiece!
    Cheers,
    Carl

ps forgot to mention, the size is about 38.5mm, and ideal size for me as well. Maybe a bit small for some, though.
  2. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Carl, that's a fantastic looking Tutima! :worship: :drooling:

You should get yourself one! :rocker:
  3. colemanitis

colemanitis

TKF Founder Staff Member
    :goodpost:, Carl! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Great post Carl, I have had 4 Tutima watches, the one you mentioned above also came with an automatic movement and a larger size 41mm if IRC, I had it for about a year but used it as part exchange for another watch, all 4 have worked flawlessly, superb build quality, the dial has the nicest, deepest matt black I have ever seen, leather strap was stunning, I have also had ones with a bracelet, which is top class and should also be considered.
  5. SLRdude

SLRdude

Silver Member
    I also like Tutima watches myself, and that one is certainly one of their best designs.
  6. Goldbug

Goldbug

Premium Member
    I'm not very familar with Tutimas but you have provided some good information. Nice look.

John
  7. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    :thumbsup:

Actually, I am working on it! I am just setting up the sale of one or two of my Omegas, part of which will fund the Tutima. The more I research it, and see it, the more I like it. I never really had the need for a chronograph, but this one is about as simple as one gets. It has many features which I am looking for:
    1) Historical replica
    2) Manual wind - not automatic or quartz. I wear my Explorer daily, and by doing so it keeps incredibly accurate time. I just want a second watch to wear occasionally on the weekends, one that I can just not worry about during the week, and maybe wind it every day. I find the winding of a precision watch very therapeutic.
    3) No date
    4) No exhibition back
    5) Brushed stainless or titanium
    6) Black dial
    7) Max size 40mm. This one is about 38.5, and it feels great on the wrist. An ideal size for me. So many of these military watches are way too big for me.
    8) Excellent build quality, quality bracelet/strap, history of good reliability. I have so far not read many negative comments about Tutima, and I have done lots of research. Most of the negative comments have been things like why is the strap buckle polished, when the case is brushed? Well, the coin bezel is polished, and the buckle looks just fine with the watch. It is possible to order a brushed buckle separately - titanium or stainless. The large crown is the only Tutima that does not have the logo on it. The reason is that it is in keeping with the original design of the watch. Again, you can always order a crown with logo if you want.
    The retail price is $3500. Normally, I would get a watch only from an AD. In this case, however, I might look around for a private deal or grey market. My main concern is if the watch needs service, and there is an AD (non Tutima) I know well in town, who would be able to do it. I got my Breitlings there and an Omega as well, and they have a great service department, and do servicing for other dealers in Vancouver as well.
    Anyway, I could go on and on. Hopefully, I will be able to get one pretty soon. Then I will do a report with pics. Sorry to ramble on, but I really am quite excited about this watch. I am glad that it's not a limited edition, so it will be available to order if need be, although the number produced each year is apparently limited.
    Cheers :drinks:,
    Carl
  8. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Love your posts, Carl! You're a true WIS! :thumbsup: :cheers:
  9. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Carl, another German watch manufacturer steeped in history that may interest you is Hanhart, they too make some stunning fliegler watches, I have often lusted after their beautiful creations, but due to the fact that there does seem to be a lack of bricks and mortar ADs I haven't had a chance to view one in person.

Like Tutima they are not often seen, so the rarity factor is also a great attraction to me.

http://www.hanhartusa.com/

I particulary love this one, just something about the combination of black with a touch of red that does it for me.

http://www.hanhartusa.com/hanhart_pioneerx_chronograph.htm
  10. Cmaster03

Cmaster03

Silver Member
    I love the Flieger-style watches. Never owned one, but top of my list would probably be that one you're looking at, Carl. (Although the Hanhart Dave linked to would probably make me just as happy, truth be told) As long as it was a classically-styled Flieger, I'd be delighted.

Like you, I also would like a chronograph, and would probably opt for an Omega Speedy Pro as my first, but that Tutima is also right up there. :) :thumbsup:
  11. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    Thanks for the link, Dave. I agree about the one with the red. I have looked at the Hanhart watches, too, and seems that they have a good reputation as well. They have the Flieger 1939, which is also an exact replica of likely the same watch as Tutima's Flieger 1941. The Hanhart - according to prices listed on the one site - is $4500., which is a grand more than the Tutima. After actually seeing the Tutima, I can't imagine that the Hanhart could possibly be any better quality. I also really doubt that I will ever see one. I made a mistake once about ordering a watch that I had never seen. When I got it, the watch was even more impressive than I had thought, however it just did not seem to look good on my wrist. In a probability the Hanhart would be almost identical, though. When I get the Tutima, I will try and stick with the local AD here. However, at $3500. - when there are others on the internet, some as low as $1650. and from reputable people - it is hard to justify spending over twice the amount. I could probably get a 20% discount, maybe a bit more for cash. In the end, the piece of mind may be worth it. In all fairness to Tutima, even the price of $3500. does not seem unreasonable, given the quality and the work that goes into modifying the movement.
    I certainly agree with you that the uniqueness factor is a big plus. Matter of fact, few have even heard of the brand let alone seen one. In the end, though, it is because I lke the watch a lot.
    Cheers,
    Carl
  12. Carl

Carl

Premium Member
    :thankyou::thankyou:

:thankyou:
    Carl