Wristwatch Annual Review.

Discussion in 'Watch Reviews' started by daveathall, Nov 15, 2008.

1. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Received this from Amazon the other day as posted in this thread; http://www.timekeeperforum.com/showthread.php?t=2256, so thought I would give a quick taster rather than a review. Because I only have a 100mm lens (160mm in digital terns) I had to balance precariously on a chair to take the photos, also if I rotated them, a lot of the detail would be cropped out so please forgive the "Landscape" type pictures.

The book is not hardback nor paperback but a compromise between the two, the approximate dimentions are 11" x 7" and weighs just under 3 pounds, cost is about £20.

[​IMG]

My Sea Dweller was jealous so suggested that he posed with the book to give some scale.

[​IMG]

The index is clearly illustrated in alphabetical order to aid quick reference.

[​IMG]

As you may be able to see the book is quite comprehensive, cataloguing quite a number of well known and not so well known manufacturers.

The first 98 of the 432 glossy pages focus on spotlighting some of the lesser known brands, detailing on their designs and history.

The following pages contain more brands, each containing history and a small write up of their more successful or iconic offerings.

[​IMG]

Further pages are then included which detail Reference number, Type of movement, Functions, Case (Size, material), band, price and finally variations.

[​IMG]

Other useful insertions include pronunciation of the brands and contact details with web sites.

Other parts of the book include types of movements, although most "In house" movements were attached to the makers watches in their part of the book, strange, but Rolex movements were not shown although their watches took up 4 pages.

You didn't think that I wouldn't take some photos of the Rolex pages did you?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All in all a well written book that gives an insight into a lot of the watch manufacturers and their products, the photos are superb and the narrative is not heavy to read, comes recommended, however this is the 10th edition and the 2009 edition will be released in mid December, I have already pre ordered my copy.

I will be organising a pass around of this book (2008 edition) when my new copy arrives, If you are not familiar with a pass around, here is how it works, people that are interested put their names down, I then send it to the first person on the list who has it for say 2 weeks before passing it on, at the end when the last person recieves the book and has had a chance to have a look I will do a small free draw, the winner is then sent the book from the last recipient, only cost to all the participants is the postage to the next person.

To skirt copy write I will make the book a gift to the first person on the list he then (if he wishes) gifts it to the second person and so on.

We organize these type of pass arounds on a custom knife site that I frequent, they always seem popular and successful, so I will ask for names of those members that are interested in a further thread in mid December.
  2. DSimon9

DSimon9

Premium Member
    Thanks David for the pictures. :thumbsup:

I would definitely be interested in the pass around. Should be fun. While at it, you could also include your SD so others could truly appreciate the beauty of your watch. After all, you don't want your watch to get jealous. :wink:
  3. Baco Noir

Baco Noir

Premium Member
    Sounds like a great idea Dave and very kind of you! Count me in too. :thumbsup:
  4. daveathall

daveathall

Premium Member
    Ive just learned that my Sea dweller can frown, never seen it do that before:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
  5. RW16610

RW16610

Silver Member
    Hahahahaha :lol:

Very nice Dave this book seems fantastic! Thank you for posting these images so we can have a closer look :cheers:
  6. SPACE-DWELLER

SPACE-DWELLER

Gold Member
    Great review! :goodpost:

Thanks for posting it, Dave! :thumbsup: